In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ceiling mounted gun rack for SUV.

bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
I've been wanting an overhead gun rack for my Toyota 4Runner but there seems to be only a couple companies offering them and their prices are rather high.  So I designed and built my own.  I am thrilled with it so far and may build a couple more for my car trunks.  I was going to post this on a T4R forum but apparently I don't have enough posts to qualify.  It may be more useful to some of the folks on this forum.  As designed there is enough adjustment in lengths that it should fit many vehicles.  The physical lengths may be altered for wider or narrower SUV's.

T4R DIY Clothes Hooks Gun Rack    Required parts:

2 pieces, 1 1/4" X 3/16" X 5" low carbon steel bar.  Local Hardware store, $13.00 for 1 foot.

2 pieces, 1" X 1" X 6" square stock (wall thickness is 1/8") $8.04 for 2 feet*¹.
1 piece, 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 36" square stock  (inside is 1" X 1" and wall thickness is 1/4") $43.80 for 4 feet*¹.

2 each, flat washers and lock washers that will fit the bolt in the Toyota clothes hook bolt.

4 each, 1 1/2” bolts with flat washers and lock nuts.

2 each, 2” bolts with flat washers and lock nuts.

Kolpin Rhino Grip XL - Single – 21510 for $25 - $30*².

Total about $100.00

https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-square-tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q4UBVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Procedure:
Lift covers on clothes hook then use wrench to remove Toyota clothes hook bolts.  Put the hooks in a safe place in case you want to re-mount them later.  You will use the bolts you removed.

Drill 1 hole (to fit the Toyota clothes hook screw) in one end in each flat bar stock.  Bend each flat in a vise to a 7-shape, (approx. 60°) so the mounting bar will hang horizontal near the roof of the truck (see pic).  Expect a little ”trial-and-error” to get the proper angle.

The 1 X 1 tube pieces (with a little polishing) should fit in either end of the 1 1/4 X 1 1/4. If there is a weld bead inside the larger tube, simply grind a matching groove in the smaller tubes with an angle (or bench) grinder.

See pics.  Once all parts fit, align the tubes so equal amounts of the small tubes remain exposed on either end of the large tube. Extend the small tubes equally until they match up with the flats that you bent and bolted to the mount previously used by the clothes hooks.  Mark, then drill 2 holes in each flat and corresponding holes in the small tube. Attach the 7-backets to the small tubes with the 1 1/2” bolts with flat washers and lock nuts

With the gun rack mounting bar assembled, have one person hold it in place while a second person installs the Toyota Clothes hook bolts.  The gun rack mounting bar is now hanging by itself.

1" to 2” in from the ends of the large tube drill holes through both the larger tube and the small tube inside it, then secure the large square tube to the small square tube with 2” bolts, washers and lock nuts (See Pic).

You may now remove the complete rack (remove just the 2 Toyota clothes hook bolts) and paint it if desired.
Once the rack is dry, reinstall in the truck. Attach rifle mounts (single or double, your choice) locating them where they best fit your firearm(s).
A cable lock may be added.  Notice t
here is still room to hang your jacket.

I mounted the Koplins toward the rear of my T4R so my gun is accessible from outside the vehicle with the rear hatch open or the rear window down.  Mounted this way, the gun should not fly forward in an accident and strike the occupants.  It is not accessible to the driver or passengers from inside the vehicle (This may be required per your state law).

Loaded magazines are kept in the locked console safe along with a spare Glock which is accessible to the driver (me) and my copilot.  Passengers are encouraged supply their own shooting irons.  Mounted gun is not visible from outside the vehicle through tinted windows (see pics).

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"

Comments