In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Concealed Carry is Seattle, WA

JPHKVP9JPHKVP9 Member Posts: 2
Happy Labor Day!
I live in Seattle, so for obvious reasons, I'm learning how to use a gun. Up and till 6 weeks ago, I had never fired a gun. Based on my username, you can tell that I've chosen the HK VP9 because of the extremely comfortable fit of the grip.
Concealed Carry: King County Sheriff is not processing Concealed Carry applications and it seems that no police station in Seattle is processing applications either. From what I've seen online, because I live in King County, those 2 offices are my only choices. Does anybody have any advice?
Thanks,
JP

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Since mayor Durkan has declared it the summer of love in Seattle, along with the block party, it might take some time to get it done. It appears that there are more important things to tend too. 
  • JPHKVP9JPHKVP9 Member Posts: 2
    Whoops. Title should be IN Seattle, not Is Seattle.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a ANTIFA shirt and some body armor and reapply???
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forums!  You are screwed, blued and tattooed.  If the police won't do the paperwork all you can reasonably do is MOVE out of Commie Seattle or sue the Police department for not following the law.  IIRC a suit filed with a motion to show cause may help but I am only an internet lawyer with zero legal training.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    JPHKVP9 said:
    Happy Labor Day!
    I live in Seattle, so for obvious reasons, I'm learning how to use a gun. Up and till 6 weeks ago, I had never fired a gun. Based on my username, you can tell that I've chosen the HK VP9 because of the extremely comfortable fit of the grip.
    Concealed Carry: King County Sheriff is not processing Concealed Carry applications and it seems that no police station in Seattle is processing applications either. From what I've seen online, because I live in King County, those 2 offices are my only choices. Does anybody have any advice?
    Thanks,
    JP
    How can police depts process applications when they are being told by the DEMOCRATs in control they are not wanted anymore. Most officers are going somewhere they are wanted. 
    It is my understanding social workers are the ones replacing police in Seattle, I would contact them.  
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

Its been 20 years (I left in 1997) but when I got a concealed carry permit in King County. I seemed to recall just going into the courthouse in downtown Seattle and paying and walking out with it right then and there. It looked like a fishing license, not even a photo I.D.

My point is- have you actually been into the court house or perhaps the Regional Justice Center (RJC) in Kent and been denied?

Good luck.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    Welcome to Gun Broker.

For specific questions like yours you'd do much better in a forum which caters to Washington State firearms issues. Might I suggest  https://www.waguns.org//

Surely there are others in that forum who have the specific answers, or who are suffering the same problem. After all,  misery loves company. 
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.   I have no advice but would want to encourage you to stick around and share your knowledge/experiences with us.
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

How about Kitsap county? It’s a nice ferry ride to Bremerton and a bit different mindset out there.

• jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    JP - if I lived in Seattle, I would invite you to the gun range, my treat. See if you can get some range time as you try to secure a carry permit.  Don't overlook the training aspect of a handgun / concealed carry.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

You can legally open carry here in Washington without a permit except inside a car(for that you’d need a permit). No Police or Sheriff in Washington is processing CPL’s at the moment that I’m aware of so you may be forced to open carry until then. We finally can do our renewal online though. At least at the moment there is no training requirements and WA is still a shall issue State as long as you have no felonies or protection orders in place. Sadly for ammo you don’t have any options IN Seattle but there’s lots of gun shops outside the city and two Cabelas as well as ordering online. The best place I found for ammo was the WAC gun shows in Puyallup and Monroe when they have them again. I lived in Auburn and did my CPL at a Sheriff station up near Maple Valley off Hwy 18.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
    Welcome to the forum.   I have no advice but would want to encourage you to stick around and share your knowledge/experiences with us.
    Same here.--------------Ray :)
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Does Washington recognize nonresident permits from other states?
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    That information was easy to find:
    https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol-license-reciprocity

There appear to be six states which get a yes...the rest are NO.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    dcon12 said:
    Move. Don
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

This may be the solution.  When I lived in Alaska I had an Alaskan resident permit and a non-resident permit from Florida.  Between the two I was legal in most states.  But that was a number of years ago and times change.

Just find a state that is back at work and will issue a non-resident permit that is honored by Washington.

• redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭

This may be the solution.  When I lived in Alaska I had an Alaskan resident permit and a non-resident permit from Florida.  Between the two I was legal in most states.  But that was a number of years ago and times change.

Just find a state that is back at work and will issue a non-resident permit that is honored by Washington.

that may not work ,  I know back before we got concealed carry in WI, as a resident of WI  you couldn't use a Non-resident permit from a different state to carry in-state
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    I got to agree w-Don ,,,,, MOVE !!!
    S.E. TN is really Gun Friendly !!!! One reason Im Here !!!!
    Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks Idaho and Utah both require you to have a home state CCW (if available) to get their Non-Resident CCW.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a believer in formal education.  Some gun shops offer courses in 1) basic firearms, & 2) CCW.  Money on these is well spent, as new shooters can too easily get into trouble.  You don't know what you don't know.
    Neal
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    My 1st CC permit was from WA state.  I was stationed there from 81-91 and I had a permit the whole time.  It was the easiest place to get a permit I have ever been.

I can imagine how times have changed.  Back then they had a stupid law where you had to wait 5 days to pick up a pistol you bought.
    RLTW

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited September 2020
    Well, open carry is an option in Seattle, and while not the best way to carry it is available to you. As others have stated, going to another county to be processed is also an option. And as noted Kitsap county is both close and more gun friendly than King county, though the state is "shall issue" so "gun friendly" is irrelevant. The process is easy once you find a location willing/available to process you... just have clean fingers.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

It's not just WA. My Sister and her friends are getting the slow roll in Wake County, NC. Told they are not accepting applications at this time. (For "4 mo.") When they do, "it will take 3 mo. to process." (A 7 mo. delay at best.)

Gun dealers and others like my Sister and her friends are exploring a Class Action Lawsuit of this denial and deliberate delay by the legislature.

I asked her, "Your not feeling infringed, are you?" 🤔

We USED to be able to buy any firearm and go home the same day if you had a carry permit. Thanks to the idiots on the Seattle side and Bloomberg we got stuck with I-1639 that ended that. Now we have waiting periods no matter what you have. And to buy semi auto’s you have to take a class and pay a fee every five years to renew it. There’s a 10 day minimum wait on semi auto rifles and you also give up your HIPPA rights as they also do a mental health background check. And there’s a $18 fee per semi auto rifle to buy each time.

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

Except most non resident states require that you at least own property there LOL

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    Whats the charge for carrying concealed with out a permit? If you fear for your life u might have to carry sans permit personally but luckily I don't live in Seattle.
    edited September 2020
    mogley98 said:

Except most non resident states require that you at least own property there LOL

I do own property in Florida, however I was never asked if I did.  We did vacation there regularly but I was never asked that either.
    It would be nice if the entire country did it like drivers' licenses.

And Mog, I know you would never suggest he break the law but since the statute of limitations has run out, it is a fact many of us did carry concealed for many years before it was legal.

mogley98 said:
    Whats the charge for carrying concealed with out a permit? If you fear for your life u might have to carry sans permit personally but luckily I don't live in Seattle.

There's no need to risk it since open carry is an option.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain

The first time is an infraction (not misdemeanor or felony if not in a vehicle...do it in a vehicle and it’s a misdemeanor).

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

ruger41 said:
    ","bodyRaw":"Whats the charge for carrying concealed with out a permit? If you fear for your life u might have to carry sans permit personally but luckily I don't live in Seattle.
    ","format":"wysiwyg","dateInserted":"2020-09-08T22:57:13+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":331822,"name":"mogley98","profileUrl":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/profile\/mogley98","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us.v-cdn.net\/6031683\/uploads\/userpics\/826\/nH8L1HSS3OF67.jpg","dateLastActive":"2020-09-09T18:36:04+00:00","label":"✭✭✭"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/discussion\/comment\/11213544#Comment_11213544","embedType":"quote"}"> https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/comment/11213544#Comment_11213544

The first time is an infraction (not misdemeanor or felony if not in a vehicle...do it in a vehicle and it’s a misdemeanor).

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

I would risk that over dying, I mean what are the odds you get frisked if you behave yourself?
    Yeah I guess disclaimer not advocating you break the law or anything but since the constitution is the law I don't see how any state can legally infringe on your rights :)

• MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Since when is exercising your 2nd amendment rights breaking the law?

Marbury vs Madison 1803. Any law repugnant to the Constitution is Void. 

• Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    In WA, I believe you must apply to the agency having jurisdiction where you reside.  I got my first permit in Tumwater, then renewed in Thurston county, again in Tumwater, and most recently in Thurston county, depending upon where I was living at the time. 

My permit expires in November, and you can apply for renewal online 90 days in advance.  I did the whole thing on-line,  a few weeks ago, but they messed up the driver license (permit) number, so I had to go in in-person to have it reprinted.   Only took about 3 weeks to receive the permit in the mail and a few minutes for the reprint.  You cannot just walk into the PD or SO of your choice and apply for a permit.  

I have an Oregon non-resident permit which I got from the Sheriff's Office in St. Helens, but as I remember, I had to have a Washington permit to apply.  Oregon was relatively easy ( admittedly, a couple of years ago), only requiring a minimal online training course.
    In WA, I believe you must apply to the agency having jurisdiction where you reside.  I got my first permit in Tumwater, then renewed in Thurston county, again in Tumwater, and most recently in Thurston county, depending upon where I was living at the time. 

My permit expires in November, and you can apply for renewal online 90 days in advance.  I did the whole thing on-line,  a few weeks ago, but they messed up the driver license (permit) number, so I had to go in in-person to have it reprinted.   Only took about 3 weeks to receive the permit in the mail and a few minutes for the reprint.  You cannot just walk into the PD or SO of your choice and apply for a permit.  

I have an Oregon non-resident permit which I got from the Sheriff's Office in St. Helens, but as I remember, I had to have a Washington permit to apply.  Oregon was relatively easy ( admittedly, a couple of years ago), only requiring a minimal online training course.

Brian, I think you are probably correct about having to do it in your jurisdiction. I don't believe applying online is available to anyone seeking a permit for the first time, only renewal.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain