In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Short Barreled Shotguns.

Somewhere I read about a H&R 410 pistol that was made in the 30`s. The article stated it was supposed to be registered with the ATF.  Since there are a number of short barreled shotguns on the market now, does this 410 need to be registered?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    You are describing the H&R Handy-Gun; a single-shot, breech-loading handgun with a 12 inch barrel produced from the end of WWI to 1934. There were rifled and smooth bore versions. Because Handy-Gun is a pistol, and as such has no buttock, it is not by definition a shotgun.  With the passage of the National Firearms Act of 1934, the smooth bore Handi-Guns were classified as being an Any Other Weapon. All smooth bore Handy-Guns were required to be registered  no later than 01 November, 1968, which was the date the amnesty period in the Gun Control Act of 1968 expired. ANY National Firearms Act weapons which were in existence prior to 01 November 1968, and which were not registered at the close of the Amnesty, cannot be registered now. 
  • Options
    44mag444mag4 Member Posts: 47
    Thank for the info. You have answered my question.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    My pleasure. I enjoy these sorts of questions. 
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭
    We can now see that Mark does in fact have pearls.

Pearls of wisdom, and rather than clutching, he shares them.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele