In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    I was with a youth group on a camping trip back in the 80's where we found a rattler and killed it. We cleaned it and skewered it and just cooked it over a campfire. We ate it but I would not call it good. As kids, we didn't have the concept of properly preparing it.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Annual event just north of my hometown,,,,,,,,,been there many times. They butcher and cook on the spot.

It looks like his legs are bound. They would have to bind my legs and hands and probably knock my A $ $ out to get me in that tub! UH-Uh no way.! Bob
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I was never a huge fan of snake, I will eat it and have but it would not be on my top 5 things to eat.  I always found it kind of tastes rabity/frogy/fishy. 

I have even drank cobra blood and whisky in Thailand.
    RLTW

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Here is your sign:
    Dumbaxs Deluxe
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    While I don't thing being in that tub is particularly dangerous, I am not sure my insurance is so good I would do it.  The snakes have no incentive to bite the guy and the leg straps will keep the snakes from getting pinned and striking to defend themselves.  Giving that there is a timber rattler among the western diamondbacks, a broad banded copperhead  and a snake that is either a prairie rattler or a prairie king snake I am guessing this is is central Texas. 
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it is due to camera perspective, but that is a huge Copperhead.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd also bet that those snakes are dead. Not one has its head up or is trying to get out of the tub. Live ones would not lie there like that.
    Reptiles all taste thin and dry because they have no muscle fat. And snakes are particularly bony, obviously. Frying hides the "tinny" aftertaste they have when you simply roast them.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry Rocky, that Copperhead has it's head up looking around. The rest look chilled.

I do have doubts about that one rattlesnake in the front left of the photo. Look at that head shape and fake looking eye. Hhmmnn...........................

wellllll...maybe. Whatever their state, those snakes don't look like they're acting normally. It's a silly-* stunt no matter what.
    Have done research work at roundups here, and having visited roundups in other states, I have seen this several times.  I would be willing to bet all are alive and intact snakes.  They simply have no incentive to strike the guy in the tub, he is no threat and bites are defensive.
    Not arguing, but I've never seen snakes like those buried under all the rest NOT trying to squirm their way up and out of the press. That's decidedly odd, in my experience. Outside of a winter hideout cave where they lie in torpor, that is.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so how does he get out?? And if they aren't dead then just how drunk is the dude??
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea looking at his face he looks pretty drunk.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Would wager they are alive, fellow is kinda shat faced. Might even have some Kelvar layers under those baggy clothes, notice the jersey. Could even be some empty C0-2 extinguishers laying around
    84, a fellow that lives in Roan Mountain showed  me a picture of a copper head that he dispatched when it was crawling out from under his camper this past weekend. At least 40 inches long, a whopper. He was bitten on the back of his hand last year while messing around under same camper. Doc said it was spider bite. No spiders around here with fangs 1/2 inch apart. Go figure.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    He Dog said:

Have done research work at roundups here, and having visited roundups in other states, I have seen this several times.  I would be willing to bet all are alive and intact snakes.  They simply have no incentive to strike the guy in the tub, he is no threat and 

bites are defensive.

Yea sure and they do not ever change their minds about being defensive.
    That feller is on a trip. (in la la land) and a Dumbaxe

Ok, so how does he get out?? And if they aren't dead then just how drunk is the dude??

The snakes are lifted out one at a time by the guy holding the grabber.  Grabbers are great for injuring snakes, but since these are all going to be killed, these guys don't care, herpetologists won't use them.
    Rocky, when you get accumulations like that the usual behaviors break down.  At roundups and other roadside attractions it is not unusual to see piles of snakes not squirming to get off the bottom.  
    Funny you should mention roadside attractions...
    A few hundred years ago, when I was in pilot training at Laredo AFB, my roomie and I visited a roadside snake farm (the daughter was really cute) and I was given the job of sweeping out the rattler pit, which was a concrete circle buried about waist deep and 30 feet across and holding a few hundred rattlers. I jumped in and soon learned the trick to keep shuffling forward while I swept, as the snakes would move away in front of the broom, but would circle back right behind me. These were all D'Backs as I recall, and the owner caught them at night when they were warming on the asphalt side roads. (He was also the guy who caught all the crows for Hitchcock's "The Birds" believe it or not.)
    So I have kinda sorta "been there" but won't claim myself any kind of herpetologist. I defer to those with more experience.
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Considering he's wearing a Penguins jersey, I'd say yeah his common sense is on display.  Now if that was a BRUINS jersey I'd feel worried for the poor misguided soul.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭
    Many decades ago they had rattlesnake 'rodeo/roundups' in panhandle Florida and lower Alabama.  People put hoses down gopher tortoise burrows and poured gasoline down the hose in an attempt to drive the residents out.  A wildlife group from an Alabama university dug some of the 'gassed' burrows up and found plenty of dead animals.  There were gopher tortoises, gopher frogs, various snakes including indigo snakes and burrowing owls - dead from respiratory damage.  Nearly wiped out all of the above from several areas before changes were brought about by some conservation groups - but some are still 'threatened' species.   Best Regards - AQH
    edited September 2020
    Many decades ago they had rattlesnake 'rodeo/roundups' in panhandle Florida and lower Alabama.  People put hoses down gopher tortoise burrows and poured gasoline down the hose in an attempt to drive the residents out.  A wildlife group from an Alabama university dug some of the 'gassed' burrows up and found plenty of dead animals.  There were gopher tortoises, gopher frogs, various snakes including indigo snakes and burrowing owls - dead from respiratory damage.  Nearly wiped out all of the above from several areas before changes were brought about by some conservation groups - but some are still 'threatened' species.   Best Regards - AQH
    AQH, I am sure you know I am no fan of rattlesnake roundups, but I am a hunter.  You are correct those gas down the burrow hunts did huge damage to wildlife.  But, the to be fair the other side is that some of the roundup organizers in some places (mostly Oklahoma) realized that they had an event that brought money into struggling small towns and they wanted to find a way to sustain that.  They hired herpetologists from the University of Kansas (I know as these were colleagues/friends) and maybe other instiutions to help them manage the resource.  Not unlike, " how do you manage deer/rabbits/quail/pronghorn/elk as a sustainable hunting resource?"  Studies were done, recommendations were made and some places now have restrictions and requirements in place to keep the rattlesnake populations healthy and harvestable for the future.  No more gas there at least.  I am still not a fan of roundups, but I have to admit that a sustainable harvest is hard for a hunter like me to argue with.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    my ex-wife was a frequent participant in the Okeene OK rattlesnake roundups prior to our time.  adult beverages were prevalent to most of the snake hunters...IMAGINE THAT!
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    Once upon a time there was an annual "Rattlesnake Roundup and Gopher Festival" in San Antonio Fla where I lived at the time which pretty much mimicked what AQH stated above. I haven't been back in years, but I hear that it's been tamed down considerably due to some of the damage done, especially to the gopher population (not the furry kind.)
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
    edited September 2020
    discusdad said:
    my ex-wife was a frequent participant in the Okeene OK rattlesnake roundups prior to our time.  adult beverages were prevalent to most of the snake hunters...IMAGINE THAT!

Dad it is a well known medical fact that there is a very strong correlation between young male, alcohol and snake bite.  In the "Hold my beer and watch 'is..." kind of way. :)