In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What kind of airplane is this

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
Photo with my cell phone. It flew over my house this morning heading west.

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    B-17, absolutely no doubt. It may in fact be the one named Sentimental Journey:

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    I thought so. I could barely make out the turrets. Thanks, Rocky.
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't help looking at him in a different light after that because from that day forward Joe didn't limp in my eyes, he stood 8 ft tall, head and shoulders above everyone else!
    "We are like dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants.  We see more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours."   -John of Salisbury  ca. 1159
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    that could be ALUMINUM OVERCAST also.  both are B-17G models, all shined up
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if that was over my house before it came up your way Jim. I was on the back deck fairly early and I could hear a multi engine radial engine plane lumbering along. It was at low altitude skirting behind a low Mtn and I never did catch sight of it. Would have loved to have seen it.

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Lost two cousins that were gunners on the B-17.  One over the water not far from New Guinea, and the other one there in its jungle.
    What's next?
    If one of these comes to a town near you, book a flight. It is an experience of a lifetime.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    kimi said:
    Lost two cousins that were gunners on the B-17.  One over the water not far from New Guinea, and the other one there in its jungle.

The odds of surviving WWII while serving on a bomber was terrible. 

"Bomber
     Command aircrews suffered a high casualty rate: of a total of 125,000 aircrew, 57,205 were killed (a 46 percent death rate), a further 8,403 were wounded in action and 9,838 became prisoners of war. Therefore, a total of 75,446 airmen (60 percent of operational airmen) were killed, wounded or taken prisoner."
    We Vietnam FACs lost one in 10, which was considered quite high. But we flew alone, so losing one plane meant one man lost, not 10. Also, most of us faced only small arms. (But up close and personal.) 8AF guys had balls, that's for sure.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Too Easy! Need to identify any others?
    Here is a link to my Dads page.
    https://www.301bg.com/Jacob_Cornelius_J9022_301BG.cfm
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    My father in laws half brother was shot down over Germany in a bomber. Unfortunately, nothing is known of the circumstances. He is buried in a local cemetery, no one knows how his body made it back to the states.
    RIP, Pete Bales.
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    My father was a Crew Chief on a B17F in Chelmsford , England with the 493rd Bomb Group / 863rd Bomb Squad. His plane # 395 was lucky and made it through the war & even back to the states.
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Not many of the guys on the planes talked about their experiences.  I knew a guy that a found out that he was a waist gunner.  Never spoke to anyone about what he did.  Then one day we were at an event and somehow we got on the topic of his service.  That was when he told me that his plane was shot down over Germany.  He had to bail out at 20,000 feet and was captured by the Germans and spent 6 months in a POW camp.  All this time I never knew.  A short time later he passed away.  At his funeral I was speaking with some of his family and meantioned his service.  They did not know what had happened to him, they said he would never speak with anyone about his service.  I felt very privilaged.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought B-17s had 2 engines.  Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I see 4 engines in the original pic.  So is it a B-24 or did they make some B-17s with 4 engines???  
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Rocky, they had a B-24 come to town many years ago.  I asked my Dad if he would like to go up in a 24 one last time.  (He flew over 30 combat missions in 3 different 24s)  His answer was "HELL NO!!  He was afraid the nightmares would start up again.  For that reason I thought it was good idea if he stayed on the ground!!
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    dreher said:
    I thought B-17s had 2 engines.  Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I see 4 engines in the original pic.  So is it a B-24 or did they make some B-17s with 4 engines???  
    All B-17s had four engines as did all B-24s.  
    You may be thinking of the B-25 Mitchell, A/B-26 Invader, or the B-26 Marauder, all of which had two engines.

Interestingly, Boeing originally lost the contract for the B-17 to Douglas which presented what would become the B-18 which was a 2 engine bomber based on the DC-2 airframe.  The Army Air Corps, seeing the long term benefit of the B-17, however, placed a small order to keep the model viable, and it began replacing the underpowered and underperforming B-18 prior to the outbreak of the war.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    All B-17s had four engines - except one. It had five. The FrankenFortress...