In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any Polaris ATV Experts Out There?

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
I have a 2008 Polaris 500 Sportsman that I bought used in 2012.  It's been great and I use it a lot around the property.  I've only had to buy a battery, gas, oil, and filters in the last 8 years. Something went wrong this summer and I hate to take it to the dealer in Indy ($$$) if I don't have to.  It starts and runs fine except when I go into reverse.  It will die after a few seconds but restarts right away only to die again when I try to move.  When this happens I see the speedo going crazy.  I find if I push the yellow "rev override" button on the left grip I can drive in reverse.   Has anyone seen this?

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe you have a computer problem.  Some of the Polaris models have a "rev limiter" in reverse to prevent a serious loss of control.  It would seem that some part of this system has failed. An internet search may lead you to the home fix or the proper replacement of parts that will make it right.  If it is actually within the computer, not much hope for a cheap fix.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a limiter on Fleabag now for like 15 bucks. I would do that as maybe get lucky fix. As stated above. My Yamaha has one also for safety concerns.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,660 ******
    First thing, Jeff, disconnection the battery for about 10 seconds and reconnect. It may reset the computer. 
    Also, there are a couple of good Polaris forums with folks who are glad to help.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.  Maybe I'll get lucky and can just replace the rev limiter module.

KenK/84Bravo, thanks for the great offer but I see GB has removed it.  I was ready to load it up and deliver it to you.  BTW, there is a home in Mount Carmel, TN that I would love to buy.  We would almost be neighbors. :)

Thanks again guys,

• Options

Nah, I removed it myself Jeff. Figured you didn't need any ribbing from me. 😉

Hope you get it worked out cheap.

• Options
    No problem Ken. I've been here since 02/01 and that's toughened me up a bit!
  • Options

Yes. It is a bit of a rough crowd.

• Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    A bad rectifier will cause all kinds of crazy problems as well, check it with a meter (lots of you tube videos on how to) They are pretty easy to change out but a little expensive, the last one I changed was a little over $200. It took me longer to get the plastics off than change the rectifier