In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fastest Cycling Auto Shotgun

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    A-5 always kicked me more than some others (gun fit) and I don't like the noise the gun makes when cycling, kind of a Ka-Ching sound.
    Benellis are fast and run the longest without cleaning. Golds and Super-X are faster and softer kicking but need more frequent cleaning. 

For my needs (sporting clays, skeet, upland) they are all way faster than what I need. My advice is to get the gun that fits you the best  and fits the situation you need it for. Your situation may vary from mine but that is what makes having all the choices available a good thing. Bob
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep that sounds like good advise. I don't remember my shotguns running too slow ever being a problem for me.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how much the world of 'speed shotgun' has changed but this article is 19 years old...

Discussion Starter • #1 Feb 16, 2009 Will the World
    Speed Shotgun
    By Patrick E. Kelley
    multigun.com
    Copyright 2001, Patrick Kelley

Best.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    i m surprised an A-5 out-cycled anything.  i love to shoot them and hear all the clang, cling, bing, and banging going on inside.  to loosley borrow a phrase from Robert Duvall;  it sounds like victory.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    besides the obvious advice---cleaning thoroughly,  one can enhance the cycling time by changing over the main action spring[in the buttstock going to the action]...this spring and tube  can be changed to a stainless steel setup  SURE CYCLE Systems,  eliminating the corrosion and dirt sometimes found in guns operated in extreme conditions[waterfowl especially].  i had both of my Browning Gold 10 gauge semi-autos equipped with the SURE CYCLE.  in fact,  it was the first GOLD 10s ever equipped..  i was the test dummy.  hehehehe  got them done for free.  after i got them back,  i took the video camera to the range to film the gun in action.took the plug out so i could shoot 5  3-1/2 magnum 10 gauge hunting loads.  video showed all 5 loads shot with 4 empties still flying in the air.  1st shot had just landed.i was one happy camper.
    That's great but i still don't see the importance of all this speed. Can the average shooter recover from the recoil of 3 1/2" magnum rounds quickly enough to get back on target, even if it's the same target much less multiples, to out run any auto shotgun?? Guess I was just slow when I was shooting.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    The Winchester Model 12 pump is faster than the semi autos. Hold the trigger down and pump it. No lifting the finger to fire. 
    That's great but i still don't see the importance of all this speed. Can the average shooter recover from the recoil of 3 1/2" magnum rounds quickly enough to get back on target, even if it's the same target much less multiples, to out run any auto shotgun?? Guess I was just slow when I was shooting.
    If there were any old German soldiers still alive from the trenches in WWI they could explain it to you. 
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    the recoil of a pump using 3-1/2 12 gauge or 10 gauge  is the reason i stuck with Browning Gold !0 gauge semi.  a rem 870 3-1/2 12 gauge has brutal recoil
    edited September 2020
    Yea right.

Yeah that is right!

"The Model 97 & Model 12 held six rounds of 00 buckshot, each shell of which held nine pellets. A trained soldier slam-firing could fire all six rounds, 54 total lead pellets, in approximately two seconds. At the close ranges in many World War I trenches, the effect was devastating.

Shotgunners would rapidly clear German trenches, cutting away the defenders. The tactic was so effective that Model 97s picked up the nicknames "trench brooms" and "trench sweepers". 

The German government lobbed an official protest against the weapon, saying that the weapon inflicted unnecessary cruelty. America responded that the claim was hollow coming from the nation that introduced chemical weapons and flamethrowers into warfare."

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-awesome-trench-gun-terrified-germans-in-both-world-wars

No offence but no, we or at least I was talking about semi auto guns not pump guns and no the average person or for that matter the trained person is not going to be shooting a pump faster than an auto. When I asked about the importance  of the CYCLING SPEED of a shotgun I was asking what difference does it make as the shooter has to recover from the recoil of the gun and by that time most semi auto shotguns have cycled.  And here let me interject that I consider hitting one's target more important than rapidly missing. The fact the Germans didn't like the shotguns was due to the fact that they were repeaters of any kind. They may well have disliked Browning A5's or M1 Benelli's even more than the pump guns. Wouldn't you agree friend??
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Beretta Extrema 2 with kick off. Run that thing a few times and everything else is closet queen.
    I do love the Beretta semi auto shotguns.
     They may well have disliked Browning A5's or M1 Benelli's even more than the pump guns. Wouldn't you agree friend??
    Nope I wouldn't agree to that. The reason they picked the pump shotgun besides being faster was the fact it would work in the terrible muddy conditions of the trenches. The semi autos would not work consistently unless they were clean.
    Ok never mind. It doesn't look like we will be able to get on the same page.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    I consider myself a fair wing shot for quail and doves- but these folks do not seem to have a problem with cycling speed or recovering from recoil.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=9+targets+shotgun&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3d9%2btargets%2bshotgun%26FORM%3dHDRSC3&view=detail&mid=9EE98FD4F000AA9A31519EE98FD4F000AA9A3151&rvsmid=7713ABCD59DB36A694D47713ABCD59DB36A694D4&FORM=VDQVAP
    Yeah, I know that ain't a 3.5 inch magnum load- but I still stand and marvel at people that can do that.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    chme said:
    I consider myself a fair wing shot for quail and doves- but these folks do not seem to have a problem with cycling speed or recovering from recoil.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=9+targets+shotgun&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3d9%2btargets%2bshotgun%26FORM%3dHDRSC3&view=detail&mid=9EE98FD4F000AA9A31519EE98FD4F000AA9A3151&rvsmid=7713ABCD59DB36A694D47713ABCD59DB36A694D4&FORM=VDQVAP
    Yeah, I know that ain't a 3.5 inch magnum load- but I still stand and marvel at people that can do that.
    Man that was fun to watch, thanks.  
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    On topic or not the Beretta AL-2 has been the fastest cycling shotgun I ever shot and I have shot many, many different ones. 
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    For years I would go to the San Fernando area of Mexico to hunt wild quail.  Several times I would take my own gun which was a 20 gauge Benelli Legacy.  I once was lucky enough to get 5 birds on a covey rise.  

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    I've seen the late Tom Knapp shoot 7 hand thrown clay targets before the first empty hit the ground. That was quite impressive to watch and it is certainly fast. There are numerous guns that use the inertia recoil system so they could be faster than the Benelli's. Do the rest of us need that kind of speed? Not really. But we, as firearm owners, shouldn't go down the "do you need" rabbit hole with firearms as the libs would love to see us admit any of those things. You know, do you really need xx round magazine, do you really need hollow points, do you really need to own that many, etc.

I bought a Benelli SBE back in ~1994 after reading how it could shoot 2.75", 3", and 3.5" mags in any order without adjustment. I had to save quite a while to finally buy it and once purchased, I never looked back. I slowly sold my numerous "purpose" shotguns as I realized shooting one gun for everything made me a better shot and that it was capable to do all I asked. Eventually I sold all my other 12 gauge shotguns until maybe 5+ years ago when I started collecting the Benelli autos. M1 pistol grip extended mag, M2, 2x M3T (folder), 2 x M4 including the really rare H2O NP3 model (11711).
    I will 100% disagree that anyone can run a pump gun faster than that. If anyone says otherwise, even with a Winchester 1897 or other slamfire pumps, I'd have to see and time it to believe it. But, perhaps that is because I grew up in the Show Me State.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    5 shots on target in under 2 seconds has been done with a pump.   If there is a difference it is in the hundredths of seconds for most of us.   Myself, I've never tried to time how fast I can shoot a pump, I do not even have a timer to do so.  But I have quail hunted  a lot with a pump gun and will say I can rack them out pretty fast.   
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Note to bambihunter. Beware a man with only one gun. There is a good chance he is very good with it.