In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hiking

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
Lately, I've started doing some hiking near my home in a continued effort to shed pounds and be in shape to do the things I love in the outdoors.  I've been doing about 3 miles every other morning with a pack strapped to my back. This morning, I decided to step my efforts up a notch. A short distance from my home is a network of trails within a conservation area where folks mountain bike, hike, and the foolish run.  I drove to the trail head area, donned my 40lb pack and put foot to hill. All in all this morning I logged about 2.75 miles (the graphic below suggests >3, but I forgot to stop the app from tracking my progress). The first 0.5 miles was basically straight up, to the point where, in some places, I was sure I was going to slide backward on the hard packed earth.  The views were quite rewarding however.

The Spokane Valley- looking west

Liberty Lake - looking east

Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
     Good for you!! Hills suck!!
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    Your a better man than I am "Dunga Din".  The health club has become part of why life for 35 years.  There 3 days a week come rain or shine.  Lightened way up on the weights but doing more reps.  Keep not up :)
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Come out East. I’ll show you some “straight up and down” on the Appalachian Trail.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't "hiked" since 2010.  Get plenty of exercise "walking" from one place to another after I forgot why I walked there the first time.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Jealous, I was hoping to get in some trail time but looks like I might have to wait awhile
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful pics, hiking uphill sure gets the heart going. Done some this summer in Shawnee Forest. Need to get out again and your pics have stirred the juices and to getting out and exploring some of the "lookout" trails in Shawnee.
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    My trailhead sits at 9000ft and goes up from there. Many days I have hoped to run into an oxygen vender, but alas only Mother Nature giving me her best. The views are awesome and I'm at peace with my Maker. If we get to come back, I hope it is as an eagle.
    Smoky
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    We hike 3 days a week about 4 miles each day.  Not vertical and no pack most days.  40 pounds is a serious load.  Most distance hikers try to keep it down to 15.  If you keep the protein high and the calories down, you should be doing pretty darn well with the weight loss. :)
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    jimdeere said:
    Come out East. I’ll show you some “straight up and down” on the Appalachian Trail.
    Hilarious.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Walking is my thing. 6 miles twice a week, is about all i can handle. Last 4 months with desert temps, between 100 & 119.  All my hiking has been next to the air conditioner.
    rufe-snow said:
    Walking is my thing. 6 miles twice a week, is about all i can handle. Last 4 months with desert temps, between 100 & 119.  All my hiking has been next to the air conditioner.

Sounds like a smart plan to me!

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I'm lucky, this is right out my door and I have two dogs that make me go every day.  Good dogs!

The wind blows so hard it makes "waves" in the rocks and gravel.

edited September 2020
    Incidentally, those two pics I posted are taken from atop the hill (apex on the left) in this photo taken from my house.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    I need to start a hiking program.  Deer season being right around the corner and me being vertically challenged makes packing into the wilderness a challenge.  
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of us, like Jim, go for a hike just walking to & from the mail box.
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

We’re just back from this. Tall glass of cold water never tasted better.

Nice pics. Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing these.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Love the pics, guys. There are some nice overlooks in my area but mostly you are walking under oak canopy.