In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

screwed up small time..........

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
I have one of the honda pioneer side by sides, got it few years ago after my bypass, wife and son didn't want me out in woods on my 4-wheeler alone. anyway to make long story short got back the other day and hosed the big chunks of mud off it and decided I should pull winch cable out , lightly oil and rewind it, so grabbed cable turned it to freespool and started walking must have had close to 50ft on that spool, told wife to hit button as I wanted to keep a little tension on cable to wrap it tight. nothing but a click, click, dang solinoid is bad got one on order but also have fifty feet of cable spooled out and winch won't run to rewind it, so gonna sit down in the garage and spin it back up by hand, figure I can run it out and wrap it tight once the new solinoid comes, not sure if I run it with a jumper wire if I will get to much voltage and over heat something, so just gonna wait till get new one before I power it up, guess it will give me something to do for a few hours........

Comments

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    So go the trials of life.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    I've taken solenoids apart and actually fixed them. But these were on starters. It wasn't that complicated. Usually it was copper crusted from arc-ing causing poor contact and causing more arc-ing. A simple cleaning out helped too. So, if and idiot like me can do it......
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    You can jump past it, you will have the same voltage the system operates on. You will have to show your wife how/where to connect/disconnect the jumper as this will be the only way to shut it off. 
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    Battery charger to the winch terminals. 
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
    So go the trials of life.
    and so goes the zip ties and duct tape, 10 minutes of finger tip turning and I gave up, hooked up a trolling motor battery and jumper cables and got it to turn so know it is good, but not sure if voltage is too  high/low as it started to smoke pretty good and cables got hot, so duct taped the cable in coil and zip tied it to the grill, gonna wait on new solenoid...........
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Better to find out the problem now than when you get stuck back in the mountains.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    aren't those just Ford starter solenoids, most are.  go to napa and get one.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Duct Tape, AKA West Virginia Chrome. 😂

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    All the solenoid is, is a high power switch.  You click a small button to close the contacts, which then apply full battery power via heavy cables to the winch motor.  Elsewise you'd have a winch push button switch the size of a coffee can.  Jumper cables from the battery directly to the winch will do exactly what the solenoid is trying to do.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Or you could exercise something most of us don't have enough of.  Patience.  You can do it when the part comes in and everything is fixed.        :)
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    Nanuq907 said:
    All the solenoid is, is a high power switch.  You click a small button to close the contacts, which then apply full battery power via heavy cables to the winch motor.  Elsewise you'd have a winch push button switch the size of a coffee can.  Jumper cables from the battery directly to the winch will do exactly what the solenoid is trying to do.

I had one of those switches. Warn makes them. They're not all that bad, but do start to lose contact after a while.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    just as I got most tools put back mailman came with the new soleniod, got it installed still nothing, turns out hot lead went back the frame to the battery shorted/pinched and  I basically had two grounds running to the double solenoid. quick run to part store and about 6ft of new battery wire, hour of cussing and trying to pull it through frame/skidplate to new solenoid and its good to go, got a feeling when the wire shorted it burned out the old solenoid ??  either way gonna let it go as I got rear fenders off, seats out, plastic liners under seats, and rear rack/cargo box off, will pressure wash it tomorrow with all this off, couldn't believe all the mud hidden between skid plates and motor/tranny area, might as well clean it up while I can get to it........  then try and figure out where all these bolts and plastic clips go, but hey the winch works!!!
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, extra parts?

Bonus. 😉