In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Custom sporter Mauser rifle project finally finished - your feedback would be appreciated

mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in General Discussion

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Wood is beautiful and all that but the scope at that height, can you get a good view ? 
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful wood. I had to refocus my peeps to figure out the "cut" in the bottom of the butt stock portion..... :confused:
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Never had a 35 Whelen but always thought it would make an outstanding 250 yards in to 25 yards thumper.  A 35 Whelen Improved would make it even more of a thumper!! 

I am going to assume the reason for the scope being that high has to do with problems with getting bases for a rifle that old.  Excellent wood!  How old is that mauser??  Is that the original blue??  If so, that is one excellent blue job!  I can't make out what it says in the pic below the 35 Whelen Imp??      
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Good start, that is a beautiful hunk of wood. Now get the bolt handle replaced so that the scope can be mounted lower. Closer to the bore will help maintain the same cheek weld. That will help with accuracy, speed of target acquisition and felt recoil. Glad you are up to doing fun projects. Bob
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    dreher said:
    Never had a 35 Whelen but always thought it would make an outstanding 250 yards in to 25 yards thumper.  A 35 Whelen Improved would make it even more of a thumper!! 

I am going to assume the reason for the scope being that high has to do with problems with getting bases for a rifle that old.  Excellent wood!  How old is that mauser??  Is that the original blue??  If so, that is one excellent blue job!  I can't make out what it says in the pic below the 35 Whelen Imp??      
    dreher, scope mounts for a 98 Mauser are one of the most common. The one Mike has on there is a no-drill clamp on mount with a see through, for iron sights. Still has the military bent bolt and safety, so it needs the height to clear.
    Mike, get that bolt/safety done, and I'll send you a one piece NIB Redfield mount for it. Beautiful grain in the butt stock, borders on exhibition grade!

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    beautiful piece of wood, do like trapp said and get rid of that railroad rail of a scope mount.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I must admit that while I am proud of certain aspects of the build so far - and having started to add new skills and new levels of skill to my at best hobbyist class portfolio...

There is something somewhat off on the dimensions of the butt stock - the balance of the furniture equation is not quite right but I cannot place a concrete definition on what I did wrong or where it occurred...

I have a set of 4 leaf distance marked express sights (rear) and a ramp with ivory bead vintage marbles sight (front) that has to not been installed...

I also have a set of anshutz smallbore match target iron sights (diopter rear and globe insert front) that can be mounted in place of the optics and safari style leaf sights...

I like the idea of the old school dark continent express sights and of course I simply love the idea of the anshutz set up though their real world utility is somewhat marginal...

I find range day shooting with such a target set up relaxing and somewhat zen - but the level of shoulder thump delivered by this wildcat style improved clambering makes fun gun shooting of say 30-50 rounds in one go somewhat painful and prohibitive...

My intention with the higher offset on the scope mount was to have a see through express sight option - or to was transition between iron sight sets and optics somewhat universal or easier than other set ups I imagined or looked at.

I have two remaining pieces of stock blank that I have fashioned into a removable cheek piece in the style of the enfield *t sniper rifle variant or the later .308 Parker Hale conversions - and when soft mounted they bring the scope in line much better and allow for a superior fit to the stock and shoulder and cheek with the natural eyeline of sight.

I do have a low rise flush mount base - lower profile that allows th scope to ride much more flush with the receiver making a centerpiece arraignment no longer needed.

With this scope base the bottom of the optic barely clears the barrel - a folded dollar bill scrapes both objects when passed between.

I probably should just decide on the one flush mount base and the express sights and settle on this configuration instead of trying to allow for a multitude of configurations - I may have overstepped and thought to fat afield and created complications.

The stock came out nice as far as finish goes but required that I go a shade darker 3 times to cover an area of sap wood that just would not blend or match with lighter gloss varnish finishes.

The barrel was marked sharps and hart match grade were the back of the barrel facing meets the action after final mounting - but I don't know much about the barrel or the maker - only that it's a vintage piece that had never been finished or mounted - it was in the white with minor surface rust when I acquired it - but the bore and rifling are pristine and perfect - I don't know the history of the clambering development either - not a ton of info out there but I am a whelen fan and like the .35 adaptations of the .30-06 case.

Yes I would like to see the bolt body jeweled or lathe engine turned - and a more severe down swept handle flush to the stock or requiring some relief - along with some sort of sculpted or textured knob.

The trigger is adjustable via set screws for weight and take up slack and is like a piece of jewelry or the inside of a pocket watch - no idea when produced or what type of cost was assigned.

The action is an Argentine Mauser style circa 1891 - also popular with the Belgians and OVS amongst other.

I had the barreled action reblued in Florida by a company I have a personal relationship with who do me favors in return for work - and they do a terrific job if you are very specific with your vision or concept - an artisan patron relationship in my eyes.

While the gun came in heavy I think it helps soak up the recoil.

The scope is a closeout item discontinued from manufacture and like the barrel and stock blank were acquired on a song and a prayer and a trade and a deal - and to my surprise seem to have come together into a greater sum than the parts might indicate.

I made trade offs and compromises and had to forgo certain ideas in order to make things work as something of a more balanced whole piece - and I would do things differently going forward but that's part of the learning process.

I do not understand much of the language used by stock graders and wood evaluaters - much like those used in describing fine wine or cigars or aged port...

I have 120 virgin brass cases with correct headstamp - made custom.

I chose three bullet weights to experiment with - a Barnes monolithic solid and a hollow point boatail and a round nose corelokt style.

I am told that a lead mold bullet with a gas check would be suitable for target shooting at a lower cost.

I think that there are aspects that I did well - and I am proud of the time and labor and effort - but it's a journeyman hobby level result at best.

I am left having learned some lessons but ultimately not quite happy with the end result - though it does shoot exceptionally well and the action is smooth and the trigger sweet.

Please continue the critical or positive observations - I perhaps went a bridge to far on this project.

Mike

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    "The action is an Argentine Mauser style circa 1891" ???
    I can't enlarge the pics, but it looks like a 98? Maybe Argy 1909?
    edited September 2020
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Why is that exact same rifle and photos for sale on another auction site ??? Ending 9/20 at 9am.
    What rifle? Don
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    BUSTED. Deleting does nothing, I have the photos in the change log.
    As of this moment, your baker's dozen photo essays are finished. Frankly, I am bitterly disappointed in you. You're no expert...I'm not sure if we can still be friends. Mark C.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    Mike, I had to fight tooth and nail to bring you back to the forum and you made me regret it. You're finished on GB- forever. 

Your photo essays have been removed, or they will be. Reference material provided by frauds is not welcome in this forum. 
This discussion has been closed.