In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Six of Them!!!

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
I left the house at 6:08 am and suddenly, just as I crossed the bridge across the creek down from my house  there were six, that's right six racoons running down the road just in front of my van. I used my super human reflexes and hit the brakes hard and managed to miss all of them. Or at least I didn't hear any thump thumps. Must of been some kind of meeting. They were all closer than six feet together but I did notice they were all wearing masks.

Comments

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    OMG!!!!!  If even the animals are wearing masks this corona virus BS is even worse than I thought!!        >:)
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Ricci, the other day we were leaving to buy produce and saw eight turkeys in our neighborhood. Had never seen turkeys here before in the 35 years we've lived here. We're only a couple hundred yards from the National Forest edge, but it's a settled residential area. No Covidiocy masks.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw two yotes cross the road the other day, got home to pull the chip out of my camera and found it was never formatted and didn't record anything. I guess much better than finding out when thinking I had the goods on some accident LOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited September 2020
    Back home in Bayou LeBatre, racoons  get on the porch, mama just chase them off with a broom.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Headline- Armed conservative nearly runs over 6 peaceful masked protesters! Good thing you have those super human reflexes or we would be seeing you on CNN.  :) Bob
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    We've had them try to come in through the widow screens twice now. If we weren't right there to hear them, they would have made it. I brought a 410 upstairs just for the occasion.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    Why would you avoid trying to hit them?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    That was my first thought, Mr P. Personally, I never risk an avoidance maneuver for anything smaller than a deer and I won't panic steer even for deer (We're talking animals here, of course.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I drive better than you old guys cause I can brake hard without loosing control of my vehicle. And why in hell would I want to kill six wild animals that meant me no harm?? 
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would you avoid trying to hit them?

My sentiments exactly. I've dispatched at least 40 since we moved here.
    I live in the country and racoons are no problem here. Are you guys afraid of them?? They won't hurt you.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    In the country, in the suburbs... makes no difference. They need dispatching.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I am way out in the country, I don't raise chickens.   There are raccoons all over these mountains, they don't bother me.
    If one was dumb enough to come up to the house my Beagle would kill it, or at least try to.
    I go out of my way not to harm any raccoons or any other of God's creatures.   I stop on the road, if it is safe to do so, and rescue box turtles.

I have read y'all's reports of raccoons being the terror of your chickens or ducks so I can see why y'all boys would kill them.
    I have known guys who lived in town, who had no chicken coops, who would swerve to kill a possum, or even a dog.
    The wanton killing of God's creatures is sickening to me.
    Well said Sir!!
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Personally, as said above, I strive to not kill any animal that does not mean me (or my dog) harm.

Guess that is just me. (Or a couple others here.)

To do otherwise is telling on character. Your view may differ. (YVMD)

Of course the caveat there being if I am dispatching in order to eat.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Hate to see anything run over in the road. I will even dodge a snake if possible.
    A terrible way to die even if it is a hicoon.
    Now lead poisoning, that is another issue.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    With masked bandits traveling in packs you may want to carry a spare mag for the Jennings.
    Damn!! I just sold my entire collection of handguns. 😨😨😨
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

I have to use evasive action. Turns out my work rail, a 2007 Ford Focus hatchback, is made out of tinfoil.

Popped a hill a few years ago, big raccoon in the middle of my lane. Couldn’t swerve, or even brake in time.

Bent the crossbar under the radiator, and the radiator, into a pretzel.

Luckily I had full coverage.