In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NFL: overall ratings were down a whopping 16.1% from last season’s “Thursday Night Football”

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in General Discussion

:) 

NFL television ratings plummeted for Texans-Chiefs opener

According to Deadline, overall ratings were down a whopping 16.1% from last season’s “Thursday Night Football” opener between the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers. According to the note, this could end up being a 10-year low for the NFL on NBC. That’s just staggering.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/09/nfl-televison-ratings-anthem-protests/

Chiefs and Texans Pre-Game ‘Moment of Unity’ Gets Booed by Fans

CHECK POUT THE VIDEO HERE:  https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/2020/09/11/917214/

What's next?

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Drop is not enough. If it were say 40-50% perhaps they could see a statement was being made by a large percentage of their audience.

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

Drop is not enough. If it were say 40-50% perhaps they could see a statement was being made by a large percentage of their audience.

You have to figure in the drops for the previous years.  Remember the last couple or three years have been dropping.  I get your point, though.
    What's next?
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder what the total drop is between now and say 5 years ago ?

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Ken, 16% is nothing, especially when some bars and restaurants are still not open that would account for some of that.

Also Sundays 4:35 game between TB and NO was the highest rated game ever in week one. I was guilty, I turned it on for awhile even though I intended to boycott.

edited September 2020

I agree with Ken, 16% is nothing, especially when some bars and restaurants are still not open that would account for some of that.

Also Sundays 4:35 game between TB and NO was the highest rated game ever in week one. I was guilty, I turned it on for awhile even though I intended to boycott.

I have not disagreed with Ken's comments, but you do have to take in consideration that the article states the DROP is  "a whopping 16.1% from last season’s “Thursday Night Football” opener and that it represents a 10 year low...just saying.
    What's next?
    My take on Boycott's in general are that they will not stop, in this case, die hard football fans from their normal routine.  They will, however, have some negative affect to that end.  How much is hard to say, but the satisfaction one gains from a boycott can be enormous, as it is in my case.
    What's next?

I take solace in that the multiple year drop since this "take a knee" started, may very well be 40-50%.

I sincerely hope it is.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I take solace in that the multiple year drop since this "take a knee" started, may very well be 40-50%.

I sincerely hope it is.

I think that all of us who have stopped watching all sports in general and, most especially, those associated with the pros hope you are correct.  Here's another note about overall ratings being down since the KILL A PIG BLM/KAPERNICK DRIVE started:  "Aug 28, 2018 · The NFL’s viewership will likely drop during the 2018-2019 season, potentially surpassing the 10% decline it experienced last season, which many fans and some pundits wrongly attributed to the . . ."  With this old news note we are already well over a 35% Drop, since the KILL A PIG BLM/KAPERNICK DRIVE began, when...back in 2015ish?  Which has added two more Los Angeles Police victims to his BLM/KAPERNICK KILL A PIG MOVEMENT.
    What's next?
    edited September 2020

I hope they all Take a Knee, while looking for a new job that pays 1/10 (if that) what they were making. Had it made, now choosing to throw it all away.

edited September 2020
    Here's a note about the drop in viewership from 2015-2016:  
    The average television viewership for the 2016 NFL season dropped roughly 8% last year from 2015.
    https://www.si.com/media/2017/08/31/colin-kaepernick-nfl-ratings-cbs-study-sean-mcmanus

2015 was when the kid down in SC murdered some blacks while at church, I think.  Which was an event that happened due to escalating racial tensions.
    What's next?
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    So if they come out next in support of pedo's will die hard fans still watch and support them? Anyway if I'm not mistaken they can't really measure the number of people watching, they have specific families that fill out questionaires indicating what they watch, that said I wonder what the REAL numbers of people who stopped watching are?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    serves em RIGHT..celebrating a bl  ack  criminal druggie.......STOOPID...hope viewing drops 50%  to start 
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    The Nielsen ratings are calculated based on a sample of 40,000 homes and about 100,000 people that's demographically representative of the population as a whole.
    So if those 40K are left leaning the numbers would be way off. How many of you are in that 40K sample?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    As most folks watch the TV via cable or satellite, I would think the Nielsen Rating system, which has been reduced to 25K households that are given data tracking devices is not what it used to be.  Dollars to Donuts it has been largely replaced by the cable companies monitoring and reporting what is being watched in each household.  
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

I was "adjusting" my Dish TV package because I was unhappy with what I was being charged Vs. the few channels I was actually watching. I was discussing with the Account Representative, "what I actually watch." Her reply, "Oh we have all that data right here."

I was not extremely thrilled.

• Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    GREAT !!!! hope it dropps even more !!!
    Wouldnt watch that B.S. if they payed me !!!!
    Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    I dropped kicked the NFL two yrs ago.
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much gave up on professional sports when the Dodgers deserted Brooklyn. If the teams have no loyalty to their fans why is anyone stupid enough to be loyal to the teams?
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I quit watching nascar when King Richard retired. I quit watching pro sports when the "special people" started doing all their stupid stuff after every play.
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    well maybe we should all kneel and sing * bye ya
  • OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Kaepernick  will take a knee and protest.
    If them pro's (all sports) can't play why not just cancel their contracts. (contracts and pay is for them to play)
    What is good for the goose should also be good for the gander. (it all matters)
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    austin20 nailed it
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    The new Nascar.....Pro Sports are headed south.  Not many people want to see their platform.  When the platform becomes bigger than the game I turn it off.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    Who knew ticking off a good portion of their fan base would be bad for business?!?!?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I accidentally watched 5 minutes of the pregame show on Sunday.  It was 12:30 and I turned on the tv.  It was set to CBS.
    Phil Sims was interviewing a black NFL player, some guy I never heard of.
    Phil was a QB for the New York Giants in the eighties and he was good.  Since then he has been an NFL announcer.  I have watched Phil for many hours, back ten and twenty years ago when I used to watch a lot of football, and he is a good announcer, good voice and intelligent.  Probably very rich, probably makes over $2 million a year.  I never heard Phil talk about politics or social problems before.

But he started right off saying that he "was in a bubble" when he played.  Phil said he didn't realize how terrible blacks had it when he was playing.  And he said, that the team mates of his guest were lucky to have a black NFL player explain to them how terrible it is to be a black person in America today.
    And Phil and the football player agreed, that earlier this year it was George Floyd, murdered by racist white cops, but tomorrow it could be any black player who gets murdered by racist cops.

I was astonished.  I watched this for five minutes and then changed the channel, just before I began to vomit.  It was really weird, to see a black guy, not the sharpest pencil in the drawer, he would never have been admitted to college if he weren't an athlete, and he makes $7 million a year catching a football, and he is talking about how bad blacks have it today in America.

Obviously, the word is out to NFL announcers, they have to pander to BLM or they will be out of a job.  I mean, Phil doesn't want to lose his $2 million pay check.

*I just looked it up.  Phil makes $3 million a year.   But that is nothing, Tony Romo just signed a new contract, he makes $18 million a year to announce football games.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I have stopped watching most all sports.  I do watch Golf though and F1 racing.  F1 racing is even getting woke and stupid.  First they got rid of the F1 grid girls now they have the kneelers and the say her name BLM bunch.  I believe we have louie hambone to thank for that.
    RLTW

:D  bambihunter nailed it , too!  :)
    What's next?

I believe the lastest weekend ratings were even lower.

• chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    Ways to bring the NFL to it's knees.
    1. Don't buy any NFL licensed stuff.
    2. Don't buy tickets to any games.
    3. Don't watch any games except one person per game.
    4. That person makes a list of all advertisers during games.
    5. List those advertisers.
    6. Don't buy anything from those advertisers.
    7. Don't tell the advertisers about the boycott. It is more fun to see how long it takes them to figure it out.
    With Kroeger (+ Fred Meyers and QFC) saying no to the button wearing Marxist BLM'ers, and now COSTCO following suit...things are looking up in that businesses are FINALLY starting to fight back!!!
    What's next?

:D 

Whoever advised the NFL that turning their games into a showcase for leftist activism was a good idea, should be probably be declared non-essential.

NBC’s Sunday Night Football showcased two of the best franchises in the NFL over the last decade, despite that, the ratings crashed by nearly 20 percent.

“Pulling in 12.22 million viewers in the early metrics and 3.5 in the ratings between 7 -11 PM ET, last night’s big NFL game was down 17% in audience and 25% in the demo from the early numbers of last week’s SNF official season debut,” Deadline Hollywood reported. That hometown win on September 14, 2020 by the LA Rams over the Dallas Cowboys shifted up a bit to 18.94 million viewers and 6.2 ratings for the Comcast-owned network and the league in the final numbers.”

The NFL has suffered tremendous drops in viewership and ratings, particularly among their primetime offerings, since their return nearly two weeks ago. Last week’s Sunday Night Football match-up between the Cowboys and the Rams, suffered a 28% drop in ratings.

https://noqreport.com/2020/09/21/nfl-ratings-plummet-they-need-to-plummet-more/

What's next?