In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 1100 shoots high

c.shimerc.shimer Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
I picked up a 1972 made Remington 1100 12 Ga. with a plain 23/4 chamber 28 inch fixed modified choke barrel. I prefer ribbed barrels so had a new in the box 28 inch with rem chokes also 2 3/4 chamber and now it shoots 3 ft high no matter what shell I use. Any ideas or just a junk barrel? possible fixes? Also have an 870 also rem choke and lop and drop are the same on both and the 870 does not have the issue.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Mid-bead? Front bead?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    Starting about 5-7 years ago, Remington began a project to redesign the major parts of the 870/1100 line for "interchangeability".  A newer barrel or fore end may or may not fit an older shotgun.  Before Remington went bankrupt, they refused to help customers who ran into problems.  Now, they are less helpful.
    Neal
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    when I had my gunsmithing business a customer brought in a shotgun (not Rem.) that shot 'high and right' for anybody that shot it. I do have a barrel 'bending' fixture and tried to correct this. after several 'tries' the barrel would revert to its 'old' ways and was sold.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't think the old heavy weights barrels would interchange on the newer 1100's? Possible problem is that.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    when I had my gunsmithing business a customer brought in a shotgun (not Rem.) that shot 'high and right' for anybody that shot it. I do have a barrel 'bending' fixture and tried to correct this. after several 'tries' the barrel would revert to its 'old' ways and was sold.
    Had one of the first 11-87s and the barrel would shoot fine until it warmed up and then it was a mystery where the pattern would be. Stress from manufacturing I guess causing it to warp. 

Some time at the patterning board with the OPs problem barrel would be needed to figure out the problem. Making sure that the two beads are superimposed and not stacked when shooting. Also does it do this with all choke tubes? Does the barrel shoot this high on another gun? lots of variables so it is hard to diagnose long distance. Bob
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Put the old barrel back on.  If you want a vent rib there are several places that will put one on.  If you want screw in chokes they are easy to install by a competent gunsmith or a company that specializes in doing it. 

The new 1100 barrels are not as good as the old ones especially on older guns.
    RLTW

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    OR, aim lower/