In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My new ride

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
I WISH!!  Yes, I know it's English and the lights will go out on the darkest night just as your are pushing her through a corner, and the gauges aren't accurate, and it will vibrate so badly that your butt will be asleep in fifty miles. But just look at her. If she was mine she would not sleep in a dark garage. She would be in my living room. Or maybe in my bedroom. I should like seeing her first thing in the morning.

Comments

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, she's a beauty. Brings back memories of the old days. The Brits sure knew how to make them purdy, BSA and Triump Tiger Cub. If I had that sexy thing she would sleep in my bedroom.------------------------Ray
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a triumph speedmaster parked in my barn for the last three years.  rode the dragon with her about 5 years ago, completely wore me out, what a ride.  i guess i need sell probably wont ride anymore.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I remember Norton making a come back in the 70s.Have not seen one in years so I guess they are out of business(or made in China) 
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    That Norton is magnificent, but please Ricci, no bakers dozen of other people's motorcycles. I can't endure something like that again. 
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like I have told this story before, but I will tell it again.

I inherited a job nobody else wanted, the propulsion IPT (integrated product team) lead for a technology that nobody really cared about, and even fewer people really new existed. It was our job to standardize once and for all the mainline propulsion system on a 2nd gen UAV. Historically the planes were all built around the cameras they carried and engines were an afterthought.

Long story short we wound up in Litchfield England and the Norton Rotary engine was reborn as UAV Engines Ltd. They had been used on targets, simulating airborne threats,- but never something like this.

All said and done the little Norton Rotary engine has secured its place in aviation history. Over 1,200,000 COMBAT flight hours- we even have a bird in the Smithsonian in Washington DC.

And as simple as it was - this little engine which we pushed so hard, has stood the watch and kept untold thousands of troops safe.

It was hard and it was an immense task- but damn I have pride in it. Yes. I am a fan of Norton.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

I came into road riding in the late 60 thru the 90’s . Norton , Ducati . BSA and Triump. In the early 70’s I got the chance to play with a norton commando for a few days 😁Wish I could have bought it !

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    My dream. I’ve owned several Harley’s over the the years but I always wanted a Norton 750 Commando. They used to advertise them in Playboy back in the early ‘70’s. 
  • dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Ricci that brought a smile and a tear.
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at the Nortons but ended up buying a '77 Guzzi. The 850T3 is siting down stairs.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 1971.  Great bike.
    RLTW

• gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

I had the 650 norton then I traded and got the 750 norton. I would start them up on the center stand and warm them up. They would walk around from all the vibration. First time I rode the 650 I was in my driveway and I let the clutch out and it put me in the ditch on the other side of the highway faster than anything. Those bikes were scary fast.

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    I was part of the TT3 race team at the Isle of Man a couple years back, and the Norton team were right across the way in the paddocks.  This was the personal bike of one of their mechanics.  Good God Almighty you should have heard it go.  Look at those megaphones.  And this wasn't even their race bike!  They make a Thruxton now that I'd trade my left nut for.

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    jimdeere said:
    My dream. I’ve owned several Harley’s over the the years but I always wanted a Norton 750 Commando. They used to advertise them in Playboy back in the early ‘70’s. 
    Playboy had advertising??? Who knew!!!! Don
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
     Isle of Man WOW!! That is one hairy race that is. I had a buddy ( rode a 900 Duck)  whose sister lived on the island and he would go and stay there during the race.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Love that Mechanics ride Norton Nanuq907. Beautiful execution. Just beautiful.

I agree with Ricci. The Isle of Man? Wow. The Mecca of all motorcylce races.

Watching that race from a riders standpoint/camera is awe inspiring. Unreal.

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I WISH!!  Yes, I know it's English and the lights will go out on the darkest night just as your are pushing her through a corner, and the gauges aren't accurate, and it will vibrate so badly that your butt will be asleep in fifty miles. But just look at her. If she was mine she would not sleep in a dark garage. She would be in my living room. Or maybe in my bedroom. I should like seeing her first thing in the morning.

The Prince of Darkness. But they were/are beautiful. 
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Here is one of my favorites. The '67 Triumph Bonneville. I never did get comfortable with the foot shift being on the right and the brakes on the left when riding those Limies'.

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Warbirds said:

I feel like I have told this story before, but I will tell it again.

I inherited a job nobody else wanted, the propulsion IPT (integrated product team) lead for a technology that nobody really cared about, and even fewer people really new existed. It was our job to standardize once and for all the mainline propulsion system on a 2nd gen UAV. Historically the planes were all built around the cameras they carried and engines were an afterthought.

Long story short we wound up in Litchfield England and the Norton Rotary engine was reborn as UAV Engines Ltd. They had been used on targets, simulating airborne threats,- but never something like this.

All said and done the little Norton Rotary engine has secured its place in aviation history. Over 1,200,000 COMBAT flight hours- we even have a bird in the Smithsonian in Washington DC.

And as simple as it was - this little engine which we pushed so hard, has stood the watch and kept untold thousands of troops safe.

It was hard and it was an immense task- but damn I have pride in it. Yes. I am a fan of Norton.

That sounds like interesting work.
    My Dad bought a new 1967 Bonnie when we lived in Bohemia, L.I. N.Y. I think that was the last Triumph he bought before he went to Harley Davidson bikes.  He accelerated in a Macy's parking lot and I slid right off the back. Landed on my feet so it was pretty cool to a 13 year old boy.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭

It ain’t new but I still love it

Fat Boy!!  Nice.