In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Speaking of decking...

scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭
I have two wood decks (PNW with 1 full sun and 1 partial) that are in rough shape - original stain is at least 17 years old/bare wood spots in high traffic areas. I'll pressure wash, sand, screw, fill holes/replace boards, etc., but will only go so far and want something that covers (i.e., not semi-transparent). Had good luck with Behr paint and am (was?) considering their Advanced Deckover, but the reviews are generally horrible...even with users claiming to have followed the application instructions. Anyone had a good experience with a deck refinishing product?

Comments

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I used the Behr solid color on my deck that is in the full sun.That was about 15 years ago and have had to stain it every year since.I have tried several different brands,all claiming to last at least 5 years and none of them have.About 3 years ago I stripped it down to bare wood thinking maybe the years of buildup was the problem,but it was not.Re-stained it on bare wood and it still last about a year.I think what happens is if the stain has a small crack in it moisture gets the wood wet,the sun hits it and sort of steams the stain off in that area which causes larger areas to peel.I hope you have better luck than I have had with deck stain.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    We stain/paint ours every other year on average. None of that crap will last 5 years. I do know that you don't want something that's really thick and rubbery on it because when it starts screwing up you got a real mess on your hands. It all has to come off because there's no way to paint back over it and get the same thickness to match the areas that wasn't removed. 
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I've used this with good results.

Olympic Maximum 5 gal. Navajo Red Solid Color Exterior Stain and Sealant in One

Buy some extra for touch ups as the years go by.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have about 8-10 buckets of Rustoleum Rocksolid deckover. Our local variety/hardware store was going out of business, and had about 50 buckets at $2 each. Should have applied it this past year.

It is a neutral that you add tint to. Water based, which I thought was unusual. Seems to contain a fair amount of grit/sand to fill cracks and give non-slip texture.

I am anxious to give it a try.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Note.
    Take a close look at your new or old wood deck floor. You will see two types of grain, hard and soft. There is nothing made by man that will stay on the hard grain for very long. I will bet the farm on that no matter what is written on the bucket.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
  • scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate all the feedback; not surprised with the varied results. To avoid a bunch of wasted effort - and an even bigger mess - I've decided to test two products (Rustoleum Rocksolid and Behr Deckover) on the entryway steps and see how they hold up over the winter. Hopefully, there will be sufficient success to justify completely resurfacing both decks. I'll follow up through this thread once I have actual results. Thanks again.