In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trump's Supreme Court nomination

asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in Politics
Is it a real possibility that he could get whoever appointed to the court?  This is as important as the election in my humble estimation.

Comments

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Historically the Senate confirmation hearings average 68-ish days.  RBG was confirmed by the Senate in 42 days.  The process is simple, the Senate evaluate the nominee and then vote.  It doesn't matter how the right proceeds, the left is going to have conniption fits.  So IMHO they should carefully examine whomever the President nominates, and vote.  If the Three RINOs jump ship that makes it a 50-50 tie and the Vice President casts the deciding vote.

The left are going to make life hell during the process.  Maybe I'll just turn off the internet for a couple months.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

MAGA.

One step at a time.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    Two things: First Trump needs to nominate someone who has taken a bath with a HEAVY lathering of constitutional soap. Second he may want to wait until 2021 so the senate is more red.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Conservatives are already ahead with one less liberal vote.
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Trump says it will be a woman.......at the top of the list is Amy Coney Barrett, who was vetted and went through confirmation hearings for the 7th Circuit in 2017. Her nomination and confirmation should be a breeze. She is also a Constitutional constructionist and textualist. It could easily be done before the election.........the confirmation of Ginsburg only took 44 days.

The problem will come with Demoncraps throwing a tantrum.........Pelosi could block the temporary spending bill funding govt. operations, effectively shutting down the govt. How would that play out? We don't know. The other threat being floated now is that if the Demoncraps happen to win both the Presidency and the Senate, they will try to expand the court, making it more difficult to have certainly a conservative majority of justices. Then there are calls on the left for outright violence and riots, which I personally think will help Trump's cause. Throw in the expected interest of lib women and snowflakes due to the fear that Roe v. Wade and Obama care may be successfully challenged and it becomes a total mess.

Interesting and dangerous times.
    edited September 2020
    CORRECTED by Nanuq - 9/21

Nominating a Supreme Court judge in the last year of a presidency has happened 29 times.  19 of those times the Senate majority was the same party as the President, with 17 confirmations.  Ten times the Senate majority was opposite the President's party, with 2 confirmations.

So we are following established precedent.  When a vacancy occurs we nominate and vote on the President's appointee.  17/19 times they pass when the parties match, 2/10 times they pass when the parties differ.

Let's get er done.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    Pelosi is now blathering again about impeaching Trump if he nominates a replacement before election..........

On what grounds?

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

On what grounds?

she never said, only that she had many alternatives if he should go ahead and nominate anyone before election, impeachement being one of them...........  out and out blackmail if you ask me
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    hillbille said:

On what grounds?

she never said, only that she had many alternatives if he should go ahead and nominate anyone before election, impeachement being one of them...........  out and out blackmail if you ask me

Well, if she has grounds and is sitting on it isn't she derelict in her duties?
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how the House wants to interrogate a female candidate.. 
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭

It is the Senate, toad67, but your point is well taken. Harris is on the Judiciary Committee, at least she was for Kavanaugh. Will she participate, and if so, will she be as evil and as disgusting to a woman as she was with him?

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Don, I think we all know and realize they are going to make this entire process as contentious as they possibly can. They will be obstructionists and drag this out as far as they can, in hopes of Biden/Harris winning.

What was it they said last time? "Elections have consequences." Yes, they do. (And) Your side lost. Almost 4 years now, and they have not recognized that yet.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    My hope is that they do treat the nominee as harsh as Kavenaugh. This will turn off even more possible Biden voters. It will be a living hell for the nominee but will help Trump get re-elected. The dems preach equality but will show their true colors and that may sway the electorate. The dems have no good option - treat the nominee fairly and get a conservative on the court or do a Kavenaugh style hearing, lose votes, and still end up with a conservative justice. Bob
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Trump should mess with them big time by nominating Stacey Abrams.  Problem is the Rinos would confirm her. But I wonder how many democrats would disapprove just because Trump nominated her. Could be great fun, that could backfire.  

Michael Moore is begging Pelosi to shut down the government to prevent the hearings.

Go ahead, shut it down. Congress goes into recess, Trump makes a recess appointment. We still win, and it happens in a week.