In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another interesting.... Rifle?

Comments

• redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    you can buy direct from Swivel Machine Works, I can see having one as a just in case type weapon
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
     I can see having one as a just in case type weapon
    Just in case of what?
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Just in case .223 ammo goes to $2.00 a round.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Just in case something needs a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! Bob
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it's no S&W 916, but...................................

(And) Yeah, I can those arrows/bolts being much less than $2 ea. 😉

Just messin' with you Todd.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of that stupid tv show, MacGyver. That fool would take apart a loaded M16 to make a hammer to hit the bad guy who was trying to kill him. I hated that show as well as the A Team. Those idiots would fire 800 rounds of ammo and never kill a damn thing. As for turning my rifle into a bow and arrow?? Yea, I think I will pass. 
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    It is interesting but I am not a real fan. 

If you are going to hunt during archery season use a bow, the compound bows we have now are almost like a rifle in their accuracy, power and ease of use.

I am not a fan of cross bows either same can be said with the "Modern" inline scoped "Muzzle Loaders" IMO these are all cheating weapons and are not in the spirit of what was meant to be used to harvest game during a primitive weapons season......................But I don't hunt anymore so I don't really have a dog in the fight.

I was never into bow hunting but I did hunt with a muzzle loader.  I used a 54 cal flintlock loaded with Black Powder and round balls.
    RLTW

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Sam06 said:
    It is interesting but I am not a real fan. 

If you are going to hunt during archery season use a bow, the compound bows we have now are almost like a rifle in their accuracy, power and ease of use.

I am not a fan of cross bows either same can be said with the "Modern" inline scoped "Muzzle Loaders" IMO these are all cheating weapons and are not in the spirit of what was meant to be used to harvest game during a primitive weapons season......................But I don't hunt anymore so I don't really have a dog in the fight.

I was never into bow hunting but I did hunt with a muzzle loader.  I used a 54 cal flintlock loaded with Black Powder and round balls.

There is evidence that the original muzzleloaders, or at least very early ones, were in fact in-lines.

I used to archery hunt and it really bothered my shoulder (birth defect) which I ultimately had to have surgery on and it never did heal right. So, I can't draw a bow heavy enough for deer more than a few times. I am one that likes to practice so I don't just wound. But, in the state I hunted, they didn't yet allow crossbows so I went to muzzleloaders.
    So, I bought a well-worn used CVA sidelock where I took over 50 deer with it and finally retired it when the accuracy went way down suddenly. I loved hunting with real BP and home poured lead round ball. My magic distance was 45 yards. I hunted exclusively from the ground. BUT, at the end of the season and after every practice session I would spend literally hours getting it completely cleaned.
    About that time Remington released the ML series of inline. They have the same look and feel of the rifle but muzzleloader ranges. They later put longer barrels on them so you could reach out there. Their new "Ultimate Muzzleloader" is easily a 200+ yard rifle. I hear some others now with even newer versions of powder can go well past that. I have only shot 2 deer at over 200 yards out of well over a hundred shot (.270 win and .300 Mag). Due to now living ~200 miles from my hunting area, I only go up for the "sure thing" and hunt regular rifle season. Like you, I have mixed feelings about the seasons designed for more difficulty (archery and muzzleloader) using modern stuff. But, I am sure our great grandfathers likely scoffed when they went from cartridgeless to cartridge, then BP to smokeless, then on to repeaters, etc.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    jimdeere said:
    Just in case .223 ammo goes to $2.00 a round.
    The arrows retail for $6.50 each, so I think that centerfire ammo will maintain the edge.  

I suppose that this is like the Dukes Of Hazard show where good old boys Bo and Luke can't own firearms, but they can own archery equipment. I'm not a bow hunter, but I suspect that anyone showing up during bow season and totting that sort of equipment will draw displeasure from a few of their fellow bow hunters.