In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SBR question

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Ask the Experts
My question is relative to the AR platform. If you register an SBR, the only serialized item is the lower receiver and in the case of most receivers, the cal is listed as multi. Most uppers are void of any lettering other than twist rate and cal on the barrel.
So what exactly are you registering: The receiver or the receiver married to a dedicated upper?  Can they be separated and swapped? 

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited October 2020
    You are registering the lower receiver. A barrel length and overall length must be stated on the Form 1, but once registered, you are free to add any barrel length you wish. Caliber is meaningless beyond the original registration.
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark.........do you think that this ATF notification will expand to all braces?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    It's all conjecture. They tried it before, but who can actually control how someone holds a firearm? Left to my own opinion, I think that the SB braces will be ruled as being butt stocks:

but once again, I am just guessing.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭
    You are registering the lower receiver. A barrel length and overall length must be stated on the Form 1, but once registered, you are free to add any barrel length you wish. Caliber is meaningless beyond the original registration.
    A couple years ago I assembled an AR pistol in 300 AAC with a 9" barrel and the lower had the legal buffer tube only.
    Unless this "pistol" was in a rest it was cumbersome to shoot.  Separated the lower and put rest away and completely forgot about it until I fired one a friend owned with a regular adjustable rifle stock.

The performance was impressive. With a Sig red dot, and able to use my shoulder I put a full magazine of Blackout in a 4" circle at 50 yards firing rather quickly.
    As a result, I was considering reconstituting the pistol as a SBR and registering as such.
    Would a collapsible stock be a limiting factor considering the length could be changed instantaneously?   
    Thanks Mark

OAL is always established with the stock fully extended. Whether the stock can fold or retract won't make any difference in the measurement. 
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭
    OAL is always established with the stock fully extended. Whether the stock can fold or retract won't make any difference in the measurement. 
    Thanks again Mark
    When you fill out the Form 1, you have to establish the configuration of the firearm: OAL and the length of the barrel. Measurements down to the millimeter are not required; within half of an inch is fine. Once the firearm is registered as a SBR you are free to  change barrel lengths, stocks, and calibers: 5.56, 300 Blackout, 9mm...what ever caliber will function is fine.