In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The unmitigated gall of some people is a real head shaker.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
My neighbor has sheep, he is a retired school teacher.  This spring we were having issues with his sheep getting out and decimating the deer corn piles, mineral blocks and trampling the food plots.  Two week ago they went through 800 pounds of corn in about 12 days.  trampled the food plots all to hell and made a mess.  I called Dave and offered to help find the hole in the fence.  He said "we have looked for the hole and can't find it".  I took the Honda 500 out and found the hole in 15 seconds.  Dave had "fixed" it with a length of 14/2 Romex.  the sheep pushed right through it, like a gate.  So I got fence wire, some posts had a couple of friends help patch this fence.  Dave and his wife live like slobs and of course being retired they have no time to do ANYTHING right but expect me to figure out their fence problems for them and then fix it.
Today, I was out mowing around the food plots.  I can't mow because the damm sheep are eating all the corn.  The guys dumped a 4X8 trailer load of corn there last Sunday, it is GONE.  I went back got the Honda and chased the sheep out with it.  They went to the hole we fixed and seemed flustered but headed down the hill where I could not go with the Honda.
I called Dave, I said "I think they are getting out down by Kathy's pond.  He said "Oh, we are letting them out and thought they were behaving".  I was incredulous. "Dave, they ate an entire trailer load of corn, you have to keep your sheep on your land and out of our food plots."  He seemed surprised saying "we thought they were behaving".  Well, they are they are "behaving" they are acting like sheep and going beeline to my food plots eating my plots, corn and mineral licks.
This idiot is letting his sheep out of his pasture ON PURPOSE, ignoring them and expecting them to not act like sheep.  He thinks they will be staying on their property when the sheep know corn is piled high only 500 yards away.
Grrrrrrr, this is really bad.  The corn is expensive, the sheep are not mine and he is LETTING them out of his pasture to free graze on my land.  The messed up thought processes of some people amaze me.  Oh, imagine this they are Obama, Biden lovers......

Comments

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    load um up and head um put  vidieo will protect ya
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Sounds like a near neighbor of mine up until recently.

His 3 large dogs roamed the neighborhood, although several of us asked him to deal with it. Repeatedly.

When all 3 of his dogs attacked my dog hooked up to his trolley line, well on my property, (unbeknownst to me)- he came over to see how my dog was, as his had taken a beating. I told him, if I had been outside and had witnessed it, his dogs would have been on the ground.

His dogs started to go missing shortly after that. Go figure.

Quite a few of us, (all his near neighbors, asked nicely.) He was not getting it. Damn If my Buddy or myself (more than once) would be getting threatened by his animals on my property. Repeatedly.

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the first answer sounds like his "free range" sheep are now free for you :)

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Sheep? What Sheep.

Kinda like "No, I've not seen your dogs in a while."

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    bpost, me thinks you have been nice long enough. Almost time to fire up the grill and throw on some lamb chops.--------------------------Ray

Not me Ray.

Bruce.

I'm the guy that "Had" an aggresive dog problem.

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    See the source image
    Sheep?  What sheep?
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭

Not me Ray.

Bruce.

I'm the guy that "Had" an aggresive dog problem.

Ken, hit me before your post. Maybe there is still hope for me. Getting old is no fun.--Ray
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    Last deer season we had a problem with people's yard dogs chasing deer on one end of our lease. I rounded a curve on the road to one of my stands and saw 4 dogs (3 pitts and 1 big cur) attacking a small doe.  I pulled my 45 auto and fired toward them, and they took off. Two days later, I'm in my stand and here they come again, trailing some does that passed by 15 minutes earlier. Three of them failed to go home that morning. We pay thousands of dollars to hunt on that land, only to have loose dogs ruin it for us! We talked to the sheriff, and he talked to the dog owners, who claimed that their dogs wouldn't chase deer!! The result is: Dog Gone! The law is on our side, loose domestic animals are considered feral here.
    I hope we don't have that trouble this season. We get no pleasure doing what we have to do.
    edited October 2020

I heard you Ray.

Bruce, sometimes the only way you can get through to people like that, after repeatedly talking to them, is to become an ***. I find it difficult to be civil in situations like that.

Perhaps Dave needs to be presented with a few Bills for your loss, in order to understand. Mention Small Claims Court. Start documenting when they get out, and your losses. Be sure to mention to him you are doing so.

If it keeps up after that, have him Served with papers. Maybe that will get his attention.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that maybe the County Attorney should step in and send an envoy to discuss legal actions. Failing that, Certified letters containing bills for the cost of the feed and salt blocks is certainly acceptable. Push comes to shove, pay the consultation fee to a good lawyer to find out what your options are.

Otherwise, I like mutton, too... What's the wool market like these days?

Best.

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone said, "Good Fences Make Good neighbors".

Around here, It is something of a gentleman's understanding that a fence is half-and-half.  Meaning, if it is between my house and your house we should each pay 50% of the cost of the fence and each has a 50% say in the design.  Some people disagree with this thought.
    But, ideally, one person says, "I think I'll put up a fence to keep my kids and pets out of your yard." 
    The other guy says, "Great idea, especially since I just reseeded.  Make it a white picket fence and send me half the bill".
    Both are friendly; both benefit, and they stay friends.

However, on the property next to mine is a section with two parallel fences.  One owner, (un-named) feels 3 strands of electric fence will keep his livestock in.  But he is lax about fence maintenance and clearing vegetation which shorts out the fence.
    The other owner, only a foot away, has installed a woven fence.  Problem solved.

Since reasoning with the guy, in your case, has not worked, document the number of times, his sheep got out, the cost of your losses, including your time and present him the bill, backed by the promise of a lawsuit. (You cannot, try as you may, just cannot get along with some people).  You may get some satisfaction but generally, your relationship with your neighbor will erode even further.

The option I like best is to put up your own fence, complete with "NO TRESPASSING" signs  Your fence should keep out, not just your neighbor's livestock but everyone's livestock..  

How miles of fence are we talking about?

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    If I write what I'm thinking, I'd ban myself.   
    Just dang!!!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Shot a deer a few yrs back and called my buddies house. His son was home and helped me load it. Took it to the processor. He was cleaning a hog. Buddies son says... that is a nice wild hog.... Man who shot it was standing there and snickered.  told him that is not a wild hog . Man says the neighbors hog kept getting in his garden ..so he shot it with his 30/06... It won't eat the maters anymore.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    I had a problem like that but it was cows not sheep. It was a five year problem and it got ugly. Then I found out about the Brand Inspector. Problem solved. I wonder if sheep come under the same regulations?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    You might want to check your State laws.  Edit - Here are the fencing and livestock laws for the State of Ohio which is where you are, correct?
    The good news in your situation is; Ohio is not an "Open Range" state (where you are required to keep animals out, not the other way around).  HOWEVER, there are also some caveats to this which you should be aware of, so you need to read ALL the laws, not just the livestock laws.  Here are some relevant examples for you:
    951.02 Animals not to be permitted to run at large
    No person, who is the owner or keeper of horses, mules, cattle, bison, sheep, goats, swine, llamas, alpacas, or geese, shall permit them to run at large in the public road, highway, street, lane, or alley, or upon unenclosed land, or cause the animals to be herded, kept, or detained for the purpose of grazing on premises other than those owned or lawfully occupied by the owner or keeper of the animals.
    951.10 Damages; prima facie evidence of negligence
    (A) The owner or keeper of an animal described in section 951.02 of the Revised Code, who negligently permits it to run at large in violation of that section, is liable for all damages resulting from injury, death, or loss to person or property caused by the animal in any of the places specified in section 951.02 of the Revised Code or upon the premises of another without reference to the fence that may enclose the premises.
    951.11 Confining animal found at large; publication of notice; lien
    A person finding an animal at large in violation of section 951.02 of the Revised Code, may, and a law enforcement officer of a county, township, city, or village, on view or information, shall, take and confine that animal, promptly giving notice of the taking and confining of the animal to the owner or keeper, if known, and, if not known, by publishing a notice describing the animal at least once in a newspaper of general circulation in the county, township, city, or village where the animal was found. If the owner or keeper does not appear and claim the animal and pay the compensation prescribed in section 951.13 of the Revised Code for so taking, advertising, and keeping it within ten days from the date of the notice, that person or the county shall have a lien for that compensation, and the animal may be sold at public auction as States’ Fence Laws STATE OF OHIO 3 provided in section 1311.49 of the Revised Code. The residue of the proceeds of sale shall be paid and deposited by the treasurer in the general fund of the county.
    951.13 Compensation and expenses recoverable from owner or keeper
    The person or county, township, city, or village whose law enforcement officer takes an animal running at large in violation of section 951.02 of the Revised Code is entitled to receive from the owner or keeper of the animal the following compensation:
    (A) For taking and advertising each horse, mule, head of cattle, bison, swine, sheep, goat, llama, alpaca, or goose, five dollars;
    (B) Reasonable expenses actually incurred for keeping each animal described in division (A) of this section.
    Compensation for taking, advertising, and keeping a single herd or flock shall not exceed fifty dollars when the flock or herd belongs to one person.
    NOTE - Now, here is where the HOWEVER part comes in (and why you need to read ALL the laws...
    971.071 Sharing of cost
    Notwithstanding any other provision in this chapter, an owner of land as defined in division (D)(2) of section 971.01 of the Revised Code is responsible for fifty per cent of the total cost of building and maintaining in good repair a partition fence between that owner and the owner of adjoining property unless a written agreement has been entered into under section 971.04 of the Revised Code.
    NOTE - As you will see (when you read the link), Section 971.01(D)(2) you are likely an "owner" as defined in this section because the fence partitions your property from your neighbor, regardless of any other provision (as stated).
    Fence and range laws can be complicated.  Every fence has a story, and it's usually a long one.  Many people see a fence and they just think "oh, it's just a fence".  I look at a fence and wonder things like "I wonder what the story is behind this fence?", or, "I wonder how many people died over this fence?".  I've had more than a couple disputes over fences around here too.  When I look at a fence along my property, I automatically assume I am 50% responsible for that fence.  Others have a real hard time getting that through their head.  From their perspective, the fence was always there, so why should they pay for something.  Well, because that's the law.
    The only thing more contested than fences is water.  As the old saying goes..."Whiskey's for drinkin'; an' Water is for Fightin'!"
    Anyway, hope this helps.

I have helped with the property line fence several times and know the Ohio law on shared costs for property line fences.  At first I was not happy with the law but understand a lazy farmer would wait until his neighbor put up fence as he just drank Grog all day getting free fence that served him well.  To me it is no biggie to fix some fence line and the work is good for your soul.
    What pisses me off is even after knowing his sheep were causing issues, damage and consuming my corn on my land he PURPOSEFULLY is letting them out untended expecting them to "behave".  I have had constant issues with his dogs running deer chasing chickens, some are dog gone now.  I have offered many times to help with the fence.  He is LAZY, his leaf licking bunny hugging Hillary loving wife won't allow trees to be trimmed or dead branches removed so they fall on the fence and I am back to square one.  All that is fine, it is something I can deal with; it is his letting them out in the first place that blows my mind.
    The fence in question is probably 750 yards long my property line.  A busted fence happens,I'm happy to help fix and maintain it, it seems the right thing to do law or not.  His letting them out is the issue.  Many a time I have had to stop because his sheep are in the road and won't move.
    It is gonna end one way or the other.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    grdad45 said:

I hope we don't have that trouble this season. We get no pleasure doing what we have to do.
    You didn't do what you had to do you did what you wanted to do.   

Dogs chase things, it's what they do.  Did you talk to the owners of the dogs and ask them to keep the dogs restrained during deer season?    I've never understood this attitude from people over dogs chasing deer.  Deer are not cattle or other livestock.   I have no problem with someone shooting a dog that needs shot.   Chasing deer doesn't make the cut.   Until broken from the habit any dog with game drive will run deer.  Any dog, mine yours, pure breed mixed it doesn't matter.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    bpost said:
    The fence in question is probably 750 yards long my property line.  A busted fence happens,I'm happy to help fix and maintain it, it seems the right thing to do law or not.  His letting them out is the issue.  Many a time I have had to stop because his sheep are in the road and won't move.
    It is gonna end one way or the other.
    I hope you find a remedy.   Trying to be a good neighbor means tolerating something now and then even helping out, which you've done, it also means taking responsibility for what is yours which it seems you neighbor hasn't.     Being a rural county there is probably someone in the county that addresses these issues. 
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Dogs without collars and not know, SSS.
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    past time to stop this chit on you stupid stuff......call the sheriff EVERYTIME one is on you and give yourself a history to get nasty...many years ago NE of here had one let his livestock run all over ....several neighbors got together and drove them down a twp road about 15 miles and left them on main street of a small town ..loaded horses up and went home ...NO more problems.....i had a neighbor rent pasture to a local feed lot and they had their beef out in my alfalfa EVERY day...finally called the feedlot and told them next day i was shooting every beef out on my crop.....and went to the owner they were renting from and told him he needed to get a GOOD tenant and he did ....problem solved
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I live in a rural area with a few good neighbors. Farms get sold off because the farmers kids want nothing to do with working the land. Breaking up the acreage into 5 - 10 acre home sites is more profitable than selling it for farming. Now we have folks that want to escape from their city life by moving to the country. I don't blame them for wanting to do that but they make no effort to fit in with their neighbors. First thing they do is buy a dog and let it run loose. Any livestock they buy is also free to roam. Their kids don't respect fences and run their ATVs and snowmobiles wherever they please. A few years back we had an early snow and they decided our wheat field would be a good place to ride their new snowmobiles. Doesn't help the wheat to be ground down into the mud under the snow. Flippin' democrats probably figure that what I have they should get a share of too. How dare I have land and not let them use it. Bob
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    and to add to this is i have NEVER had a livestock owner offer to pay for the feed consumed....i do NOT owe them free feed and a profit 
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
    grdad45 said:

You didn't do what you had to do you did what you wanted to do.   

Dogs chase things, it's what they do.  Did you talk to the owners of the dogs and ask them to keep the dogs restrained during deer season?    I've never understood this attitude from people over dogs chasing deer.  Deer are not cattle or other livestock.   I have no problem with someone shooting a dog that needs shot.   Chasing deer doesn't make the cut.   Until broken from the habit any dog with game drive will run deer.  Any dog, mine yours, pure breed mixed it doesn't matter.
    The Sheriff talked to the dog's owners. They denied that the dogs even came onto our lease. The dogs chase animals year-round, not just during deer season. We also suspect that those dog owners are the ones trespassing and turning our deer stands over. We have cameras set up to get proof of the people as well as the dogs. If they prove to be the perps, we will prosecute to the max!
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Butchdog2 said:
    Dogs without collars and not know, SSS.
    SSS!     Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.
    I have a backhoe
    I tell folks I can dig a grave in less than 12 minutes. 
    And that is in the dark!
    Then I laugh heartily (like I'm joking).

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    In the State where I live,  you are responsible for the right hand half of the boundary fence as you look at the property line.  Even if you have no need for a fence and you neighbor does,  it is your responsibility for the right hand half.  If you refuse to do your half ,  he can do it and bill you.  Works for me!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    @nononsense - No need for the DA; it's all right there in the link I posted.  Describes cause, obligations on all parties and remedies for both
    We were posting at the same time so I missed your post as I was writing. This is the first I've read it.

Best.

• papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
     Does sheep taste like lamb?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    if they do happen to disapear in the near future, you may not want to post it in this thread.....
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

Good fences are one thing, purposely opening gates is hard to wrap my head around.

That is wild.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Lazy and letting you repair the fence, scratch your head and mumble. Purposely letting them out to obtain your corn and plots, no Bueno. Time to send him a bill for the feed.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is past time to turn into a major league pain in the butt.  Call the cops every time his sheep are out.  Call animal control every time his sheep are out.  Send a bill registered mail, return receipt requested on all damage to date.  Send a new bill every time they are out again and eat anything at all.  Go to small claims court.  Ask the township trustees (you are in Ohio right) have them decide which half of the line fence between you is yours.  Build a new fence on your half.  Call the township trustees again to put up his half of the fence and it goes on his tax bill.  I'm guessing 6 weeks of doing all these things and he will either get his fence fixed or sell his sheep.
    Also, I can't remember what the law says in Ohio, but in some States you can load them up and take them to a livestock auction.  Have fun!!!!! 
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
     Does sheep taste like lamb?
    No,  Tastes like a sweater.
  • grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
    With credit to Johnny Cash....
    A sheepherder came,
    And put up a fence.
    I saw him once,
    But I ain't seen him since.
    But if it's mutton you're wantin'
    We got mutton to sell,
    Cause we're cowpunchers
    And mean as hell.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    I truly hate to dispose of a  animal just doing there thing   at the owners carelessness  
     just video and report it and have the local lawyer sue  for damages and hardships loss of property and food sources  have the lawyer tack on his 90% fee ( LOL ) 
           but then again  ( green font and in fun no way suggestion )  a fence of dead sheep  bodies on the property line would have a visual impact 
  • OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Just some thoughts for the day.
    You say:

retired school teacher
    Oh, imagine this they are Obama, Biden lovers......

Already past time for YOU to get the: You know nothing attitude and be a quiet type of a neighbor. ( For example: I do not know anything about any of your missing sheep)
    How do I know this sort of stuff? I did not read it (taking care of business and staying quiet) from a book and I was not taught such in a school room. I'm just a good ole country boy and a good neighbor.

That retired teacher is a slow learner and he has tried to teach brainwashed and  taught  some of our future generations.
     We all have seen highly educated people that do not have any common sense.
    I'm going to have to stop saying, How dumb can you be, People take it as a challenge.

I pulled the game camera SD cards this morning and sure enough they devoured the corn over 4 days.  I am going to point out to Dave that Ohio law prevents them from free roaming their flock on other peoples land, they must be kept fenced on HIS property.  I sure can't blame the sheep, they are just doing what comes natural, they are gentle domesticated creatures.  The owner is 100% at fault for letting them out on purpose, untended to roam properties of several people eating lawn grass and being a nuisance flock blocking the roads.