In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Einstein's other uh-oh

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
I was looking through the Einstein field equations today and pondered over a point I'd missed before. Einstein included a gravitational constant that is dependent on the Newtonian derived constant. Of all the terms in the field equations this has as much or more uncertainty than any of them. In SI units, the 2018 CODATA-recommended value of the gravitational constant (with standard uncertainty in parentheses) is:
G = 6.67430 ( 15 ) × 10 − 11 m3 ⋅k g− 1 ⋅ s− 2
This corresponds to a relative standard uncertainty of 2.2×10−5 (22 ppm).
Thus k from the field equations is ≈ 1.866×10−26 m⋅kg−1
[thank you wikipedia for that quick lookup]
So, it's a pretty small term, meaning its impact on the solution set is correspondingly small, but it's pretty inaccurate regardless, and the term gets divided by a very large term (the speed of light) making it practically meaningless (10^-26 is pretty small). So, while we really don't know what that number actually is, it's a curious factor to include if the impact is going to be so small.
Clearly Einstein thought this fudge factor was important. Still, I expected better. Einstein thought his initial cosmological constant was the biggest blunder of his life. Maybe so but this seems a close second and no one seems to be talking about it.

Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you may be right. Don
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Quantum theory has done much to unify physics. We don't know it all, but Einstein was ahead of his time and on the right track. Just imagine Einstein alive today with all of the current research tools at his disposal. 

"It is very hard for mere humans to decipher the fantastic machine that God has set into motion." Mohawk600 2020.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, every single Physicist since Einstein has made their living on trying to prove him wrong.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Keep in mind, every single Physicist since Einstein has made their living on trying to prove him wrong.
    Einstein revolutionized the physical properties world, hands down.  The Special and General theories staggered science of the day...and ever since then the only Physicists who are notable have tried to prove him wrong.  Hawking was a joke, and sadly a novelty!  So was Sagan.  None of these guys did anything to advance the science.  Einstein was working on hard problems, the rest of them were working on minor problems to prove Einstein wrong, simply because they couldn't stand the idea he was right.  So, they set up tests to analyze every single thing he ever did and pick it apart.  Okay...where was he wrong?...at the end of the day?
    Einstein felt he failed, but did he...really?
    Odd, I know a physicist that made his living (while in the halls of academia) creating the science that allowed the creation of CD and MP3 disks.  He sure wasn't wasting time trying to prove anyone wrong. 
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow!  Either some of you operate mentally in different ways than most of us or....................... some of you are amazing BSers!!!!!   I can't even guess which one of those thoughts is true!!    :D   
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    iceracerx said:
    Einstein revolutionized the physical properties world, hands down.  The Special and General theories staggered science of the day...and ever since then the only Physicists who are notable have tried to prove him wrong.  Hawking was a joke, and sadly a novelty!  So was Sagan.  None of these guys did anything to advance the science.  Einstein was working on hard problems, the rest of them were working on minor problems to prove Einstein wrong, simply because they couldn't stand the idea he was right.  So, they set up tests to analyze every single thing he ever did and pick it apart.  Okay...where was he wrong?...at the end of the day?
    Einstein felt he failed, but did he...really?
    Odd, I know a physicist that made his living (while in the halls of academia) creating the science that allowed the creation of CD and MP2 disks.  He sure wasn't wasting time trying to prove anyone wrong. 

Maybe FCD meant quantum physicists? I dunno, but it is an odd claim either way. Many like Malcolm MacCallum certainly weren't.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Newton stated gravity was relative to mass and distance to put it in easy to understand terms. Einstein realized on a grand scale Newton theory was wrong because gravity can be cancelled out. IE the elevator experiment.

• bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 589 ✭✭✭
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,824 ✭✭✭✭

I am still trying to finish building my first flux capacitor

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Einstein recreated the interaction of mass, velocity, light, and time within the confines of his skull. From any measure he was correct on almost all points.

a little uncertainty at the margins is not, IMO, anything approaching failure.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    lost me at "the angle of the dangle"
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Einstein was an alien.
    RLTW

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    after 6 month not seeing a barber,  I am begining to look like him!!!!!!!!
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Einstein recreated the interaction of mass, velocity, light, and time within the confines of his skull. From any measure he was correct on almost all points.

a little uncertainty at the margins is not, IMO, anything approaching failure.

I'm not saying failure, and "blunder" is Einstein's own term for the cosmological constant error he made. I'm merely suggesting that if that term was the biggest (in these equations) then this is the second.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Albert Einstein Quote:

“Intelligence is not the ability to store information, but to know where to find it.”
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    They even saved his brain for prosperity! I think splitting the atom locally was a  mistake myself. Too much radiation for human life.
                       serf

Scientists who have examined his brain have concluded that it is not normal. While Einstein’s brain weighs less than the brain of an average adult male, 2.7lbs versus 3 lbs, the inferior parietal region of the brain is 15% larger than in an average brain. Some scientists think that the brain lacks an anatomical crevice called the Sylvian fissure.

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    My math/physics is really bad as in they let me stop taking math in 9th grade so I'm going to go with whatever you say. good thing they have Engineers and physicists
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if old Ein was the type of guy you would like to go out and have a beer with ;)
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    asop said:
    I wonder if old Ein was the type of guy you would like to go out and have a beer with ;)

only if your not a relative, has something to do with his theory of relatives.......
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    His other theory because of his large chested cousin.
    the theory of relativetitty