In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Medical marijuana

Medical marijuana is legal in 33 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.
In Illinois not the most progressive firearm ownership state in the country my rights to my FOID and Conceal Carry cards are protected but because I have a medical marijuana card I can no longer pass a background check to purchase a firearm?
Is there anything being done at the federal level to cure this inequity? 

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Trump once committed to the decriminalization of marijuana at the Federal level, but the GOP controlled Senate will not consider the measure because a bunch of nanny-state 'social conservatives' want to control this part of your life.

IMO, there will not be a Federal decriminalization as long as these false conservatives retain a say in the GOP.  These people need to understand that conservative has a meaning that does not include one's personal preference regarding the activities of others.

Welcome to the forum, MichaelSC.  
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited October 2020
    Welcome to the Gun Broker forums.

Individual state regulations on marijuana vary widely so that a one size fits all regulation from the feds would be, depending on the state, either too lenient or too strict. This is one of many reasons that there is no national concealed carry law. Since drug laws are for the most part a creation of the federal government, and since current federal drug laws are extremely strict, I would be wary of the feds "fixing" anything which is drug related.

IMO, Mark, a Federal decriminalization of marijuana would be just that.  It is no longer a controlled substance at the Federal level, leaving individual states to determine their own laws and restrictions.  This would eliminate the current Form 4473 conflict, and free up the states to do that which they feel is best for themselves.

The long term problem, of course, is that someone will, as was done in many other cases (same-sex marriages, as an example) use something like the Privileges and Immunizes clause in an attempt to force all states to decriminalize it as well. 

I do not want the Feds to fix anything.  Having them butt out, however, would be nice.  

Brad Steele
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    The elimination of the BATFE is unlikely. With them involved with firearms I don't see elimination of the question. It is like a double overlap with their department handling with the DEA. Taxing mary jane will also involve a huge can of worms. What is next. Heroin? Cocaine ...  The Federal govt reaches deep into state issues when drugs are involved. Huge busts and they are usually there.
    Eliminating the BATFE is not necessary to decriminalize marijuana.  A simple law removing Federal penalties associated with it is all that is required.  As with anything, there would be controls on it entering the country.
    The decriminalization would eliminate any link between firearm ownership and the use of marijuana, be it medically or for recreation.  The specific link is the result of pseudo-conservative control issues dreamed up in a neo-con echo chamber with little internal thinking or external input.
    The Federal Government could decide to tax marijuana, but there is not reason they should or need to.

Brad Steele
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    The Feds should pound sand until the state in need calls for help. The way it is supposed to be, less is better.
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Having it decriminalized is a way for The State to tax it and you can bet the Feds will be adding a big tax for their cut of the profits for their stamp of approval. I wonder why you can't carry firearms when drinking alcohol ? Wake up it's all backdoor gun control folks The Democrats are setting you up.

serf

https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/concealed-carry-and-alcohol/

Alcohol, as anyone knows, lowers inhibitions. Otherwise normal people can become violent. People can become deluded into thinking that other people really want to hear "Sweet Home Alabama" for the 10-millionth time, when in point of fact everyone would be better off if that song was never played again, anywhere, ever. A person who wouldn't drive drunk thinks "I've only had a few, I'll be alright." And so on and so forth.

To make a long story short, the presence of alcohol in your system can make a shooting incident that looks mostly like a perfect self-defense shooting seem more suspicious.

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

The constitution says, "....the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - unless you grow a certain plant in your garden."

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • windycityparrotwindycityparrot Member Posts: 4

I know 2 Illinois residents who have IL medical marijuana cards and IL Foid cards - just apply for the FOID.

We're in Indiana where it is easy to get a carry card (Indiana doesn't differentiate between conceal and open carry) but you can't own a marsupial.

In Illinois is easy to own a marsupial but difficult to get a FOID card.

This is another reason that I drink whiskey.