In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 17-6 factory nickel 22LR "Calendar Model" Ellet Bros special run

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
I am listing a Smith model 17-6 revolver for sale but can find no information on pricing. I found the revolver in a S&W collectors book but they do not assign a value. Anyone have a Blue Book handy to see if this is listed? It has "The Revolver" engraved on the 6" barrel. Thanks!

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Blue book is worthless as far as pricing is concerned. Take good pictures, write a good description then start it at one penny with no reserve and let her ride. Next week you will know exactly what it is worth. 
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Same, same as a aftermarket, ( non factory cataloged, commemorative). Has to be brand new in the box, unturned, unfired, with all original accessories and documentation. To have any substantial value, over and above a standard Model 17. Even then these dealer special order guns. Aren't the easiest to sell for a premium over and above a standard M 17.
  • JohnERebJohnEReb Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    CS8161 wrote: "I found the revolver in a S&W collectors book but they do not assign a value."

Perhaps you are referring to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (SCSW). As you probably know, your revolver was part of the "TWELVE REVOLVER" set offered by S&W about 30 years ago. The set was not well received by collectors.
    Although, as you note, the SCSW does not show a value, it does say "Individual revolvers may bring a slight premium over what a standard model would bring, either for their collectability, or for their unusual combination of features."

• CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your input, much appreciated!
    Can someone tell me what blue book value would be on a regular production run model 17-6 with a 6" barrel and nickel finish? 95% condition. Thank you!
    AS I stated above NOBODY who deals in firearms on a regular basis pays any attention to the values listed in BB. They are worthless. Go on Gunbroker  and look to see past sales, or google it and look at other sites to see what like firearms have actually SOLD FOR, not what sellers are asking.
    I looked on Gunbroker and checked completed auctions as well, there are no other model 17 nickel revolvers for sale or sold already. That is why I was curious as to what BB value is for a nickel model 17 6" barrel 95% condition.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    CS8161 said:
    I looked on Gunbroker and checked completed auctions as well, there are no other model 17 nickel revolvers for sale or sold already. That is why I was curious as to what BB value is for a nickel model 17 6" barrel 95% condition.
    No offense meant. But if it's in 95% condition. Meaning to me, that it has been shot and handled. It has no value to a collector. Be very happy, if you can even get what a comparable, standard, blued M-17 is going for. 

Your best bet to move it, would be to sell it right now. With all the poop that going on in this country, at this point in time. Any functional Smith in a common caliber. Would sell like hotcakes. Moving it now IMHO would be best, because there's a real hot sellers market for any condition functional firearm.
    edited October 2020
    As stated I don't think a 95% commemorative would bring any more than any other 95% 17-6 although the nickel might bring a premium. Good photos, one penny start. It should bring good money. I don't see any that have been sold recently. That gun if listed correctly should do well.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes certain guns are uncommon & we can't find recent sales to use for value estimates.  But, we can often extrapolate data from what we know.
    I found a  listing in the GB completed auctions for a gun similar to yours that has been repeatedly listed for $900 minimum, with no takers:    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877536608
    We know that the market value is definitely lower than that, but that is where guess work begins.  And, there are no wrong answers.
    Neal

This discussion has been closed.