In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thoughts on Ruger P89

mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone have opinions on this gun? Thinking about getting one just because. Always kind of wanted it 'cause its a well built pistol. Price is under $400.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    I bought one new in the early 90's. No problems, very reliable and sturdy. I got rid of it, because of the crappy trigger pull. Ruger wouldn't sell replacement parts. ( Bill Ruger was still alive, and running the company from AZ). Don't know if they have changed their policies about parts? If you can live with the crappy trigger? Go for it.
  • 322nd322nd Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I have a P89 built in 1995 that I bought used two years ago. Original and nice condition. Mine has a great trigger and is very accurate. I did have extraction problems which I noticed soon after I bought it, sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it for free. Turn-around time was about a week. Pistol has performed flawlessly ever since.
    Kim
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    Son-in-law has one; no problems for at least ten+ years.  He shot it a lot for the first five years.
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    did not fit my hand well 
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    Good gun. A bit clunky and has a fairly large grip.  I switched to the P95 since it has a smaller grip profile but keep the 89's as house guns.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    You can probably find a used one for under $300 if you look around.  These guns are everywhere.  And reliable.

I had a P85 in the PD armory that I used when teaching firearm safety in the Citizens' Police Academy.  I never cleaned it.  I did lube it before each class, but I never cleaned it.  The gun was dead solid reliable.  Big and blocky but reliable.

The P89 is just an improved version of the p85.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    I have a P85, and like others have said, blocky and reliable. Mine doesn't like 115 grain bullets very well. At 25 yards mine groups 115 grain bullets on a paper plate. If I shoot 124 grain bullets, it reduces that group by half.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    As those above have stated, the P series guns are good. The one thing every owner of a P series metal gun should absolutely do on day one is replace the factory grip panels with the Hogue rubber grip (part # 85000 I think). It will transform the pistol. I used to keep this grip in stock and anytime I saw a P series in the shop without it I offered to install one. I don't remember ever not selling the grip after the customer felt it on their gun in their hand. 
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't a fan.  A friend has his stolen, dumped in the woods for about 2 years where it was found by the cops & returned to him.  Then sat in a dank basement for another few years until I disassembled and reassembled it.  A few surface rust spots, had to replace the rear sight as I recall.  But other than that the darn thing went back together and went "bang" with nothing other than a recoil spring change.  First opportunity I had I snagged one ANIB with a 30 Luger barrel included.  

The gun runs great, mags are cheap and plentiful.  I really like it.  FWIW I think $400.00 is a tad high.  I'm in CA where they're "off roster" and paid mid $300.00 for mine.
This discussion has been closed.