In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Killed it, now, what is it?

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Heard the most horrendous buzzing in the house yesterday. Bug was trying to escape up the stainless range hood. Took it out post haste. Now, what the heck is it?

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    A bug!
    Maybe one of them new fangled murder hornets
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    A quarter. What kind of bug is that next to it???
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    mogley98 said:
    A bug!
    Maybe one of them new fangled murder hornets
    Yep, it's a murdered hornet alright!
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    Bald Faced Hornet.  I had a nest this summer between 2 rafters on the deck.  Hung down about 3 ft and was  2 ft wide. Exterminator charged $325 to shove a couple of cans if industrial strength fogger up into it.    If it had been farther from the house I would have left it alone as the do tend to kill/eat  other bugs that are less than desirable. 
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    It's too small to be a murder hornet but it is a hornet of some kind.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Capt. Fun, (and others) buy a bottle of Bifen IT concentrate from the farm store. Recommended dosage is 1 oz/gal. Pump sprayer, or hand held pump. Soak the entry. Give it a few days. All will be dead.

Had a Commercial Chemical Applicators License after having passed the test, a few years back. That stuff, (Bifen IT) is excellent. Ants, Termites, Yellow Jackets, etc.

Much Mo Cheapa.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a bald faced hornet.  Too small and not dark enough and no white on the head.   That looks to me like what we call a yellow jacket out here.  
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    I don't know but it looks like its wearing eye glasses...
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    Definitely not a bald faced hornet. Looks kinda like a European Hornet tho.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Getting popped by a Bald Faced Hornet, is the worst. Their bite/sting is extremely painful.

(German Yellow Jackets maybe #2.)

Got popped about 17 times one day by Yellow Jackets on the Job sight. They swarmed me while running a weed eater. 6"X6" Railroad ties in a reinforced bank about 8-10' high.

Threw my Weed eater down and ran, after figuring out what was up.

Not a good day.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Not a yellow jacket, too long and wide to be one of those nasty SOB's. I'm agreeing with Mr. Perfect, might be a European Hornet. Head and armor look the same as my bug.

The sound it was making when it was hitting the vent hood sounded as if someone was throwing rocks. Had me stumped at first as to what was going on in my kitchen. Living alone can sometimes make one imagine all kinds of scenarios

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, we've established that it might be a European Hornet.  The question we're all dying to ask is.....
    What did you shoot it with??? :D 
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Not a bald face hornet. Most likely an European version.
    Had a nest here a few years ago, they chose a small hole in the siding at my house.
    Nailed a couple times as a few made inside the house. Hurt pretty bad but no allergic reaction.
    Turn a porch light on after dark and they would swarm it like crazy. Bombed them with hornet spray.
    Never seen any of them before or after. Thank goodness.
    On a side note, I think a 22 Hornet improved would better suffice for the task as they are a step bigger than the bald face.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

Getting popped by a Bald Faced Hornet, is the worst. Their bite/sting is extremely painful.

(German Yellow Jackets maybe #2.)

Got popped about 17 times one day by Yellow Jackets on the Job sight. They swarmed me while running a weed eater. 6"X6" Railroad ties in a reinforced bank about 8-10' high.

Threw my Weed eater down and ran, after figuring out what was up.

Not a good day.

Had a bald face hornet get in behind the left lens of my glasses once. Hit me three times before I could get my glasses off. That whole side of my face felt, and looked, like I'd been hit with a BFH. (big bleening hammer)

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

".....Now, what the heck is it?....."

If you had another 20 or 30 you would have pizza toppings

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    We called those Japanese hornets when I was growing up.I was never stung by one but I killed one in my workshop.I picked it up with a pair of pliers and a stinger ran out that looked about the size if a finish nail.
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Murder hornet............run for your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Capt. Fun, (and others) buy a bottle of Bifen IT concentrate from the farm store. Recommended dosage is 1 oz/gal. Pump sprayer, or hand held pump. Soak the entry. Give it a few days. All will be dead.

Had a Commercial Chemical Applicators License after having passed the test, a few years back. That stuff, (Bifen IT) is excellent. Ants, Termites, Yellow Jackets, etc.

Much Mo Cheapa.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    What Mr. P said.
  • OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Okie said:

Much Mo Cheapa.

This is good stuff. No need to mix stronger than the label. It also gets the Recluse spiders, stinging scorpins and most all others and if sprayed on concrete it soaks in a stays even after a rain. It has no odor and is also really good inside a residence for spiders. After spraying inside a shop or residence I vacate for approx 12 hours but just read the label directions. About $15 for a bottle and has the oz measuring dose built into the bottle. 

Really good for shops and garages and even better if on concrete floors. You can review it on-line. I've seen bugs still die after couple months . It also does not leave a visible spray film or nor a spray odor.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    We have some sort of critter around here, looks like a European hornet, we call them news bees, some call them Japanese hornets. They buzz around and can hover, never seen a nest of them. Some say they are a fly.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    From this post I just learned that our Yellow Jackets are actually "German Yellow Jackets"!!!  

A fair percentage of my fellow Americans would call my thoughts on this subject racist!  :/
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    I've been at war since spring, with European Paper wasps. Chewed through the nylon screen on my attic vent and nested there, inside my camper shell on my pickup, under the gas cap doors on the truck and car, fist size nests on the car door hinges, in my BBQ, eves of the house, , and under the leaf guards on the rain gutters. Now the weather is cooling, they're crawling into the smallest spaces on the house to hibernate, and then resume the battle next spring. My new weapon is foaming wasp spray, that shoots 30ft. FYI...have a full can in each hand, cause just when things get exciting, that first can is always empty!
    I learned they are capable of * recognition. I learned that reading up on them. I also learned if you smack one out of the air, you better finish him. If there's a dozen people standing there, he's only coming after you if you don't.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    Cicada killer 
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    He Dog said:
    What Mr. P said.
    Yep, he did.
    What's next?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Talk about painful stings, I've been stung by a whole slew of wasps and such.  I'm just glad that I've never been hit by the Cow Ant, aka Cow Killer, Mule Killer...or Velvet Ant.  Been around all too many, when running around barefoot or out in the Texas woods somewhere. 

I've been hit mostly by Red Wasps, Blacktails, and the small Guinea Wasps and, of course, Honey Bees, Bumble Bees, and Carpenter Bees, one of the two later ones was the size of a small hummingbird.  I grabbed it from a large flower thinking it was a hummingbird.  I guess I was around three, possibly four years old then.  When I think of that sting and the throbbing in my finger, I think  of Big Bertha, and someone gonging that monster 8 foot Univ of Texas drum on the football field...talk about throb.  Terrible pain.

Once while playing hide and seek when I was five years old, among the sycamore limbs and leaves that hung over the top of my  shotgun style house...I slowly moved a single leaf that was covering my eyes, and guess what, there was what looked to be a big nest of Red Wasps with their wings jacked out in attack mode.  They hopped on my face, and my eyes were closed by the time I scrambled off the top of the house.  Had at least a half dozen stings and also picked up a big splinter in my finger as I basically ran and slid off the side of the roof.

About two years later when I was between six and seven, all I was doing was looking at a Guinea Wasp nest under the eves of a high roof, and thinking about robbing it, when a scout took off from it and winged left and right, back and forth, then popped me on the left ear.  Now that my friends was a sting for the ages.  Talk about hurt.  But as soon as I grabbed him he met a crushing death.

Thanks for the post ...and the memories.
    What's next?
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    As ID'd above
    European hornet (Vesta Crabro). Too small to be a Giant Asian hornet (Vespa Mandarinia)  
    European hornets are not indigenous. They were introduced many years ago.