In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How long do I hold out

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

On turning on the heat? Woke up this morning to frost on the ground. Temp in my bedroom was 60. Rest of house was 65.

Dragging my feet. Telling myself I'm doing an exercise in acclimatization in preparation for deer season.

The tug of war between winter and summer isn't over. Temps are still predicted to be all over the chart.

Comments

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    We had frost and 27° this morning. We turned on the furnace last week when it got down to 31°. This is Western Ohio.
  • RidefarRidefar Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Soon as you start to feel the slightest bit of dampness get the heat on.
    When I was younger I used to hold out for November 1st, and for the life of me I cannot remember why.
    Mine dropped into the upper 50's in the house recently and I did not hesitate.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Not supposed to get out of the 40's today. (Cold, overcast and rainy.) Supposed to be around 28° tonight. Will be our 1st hard frost. I've had a couple small electric heaters on thermostat to kick in if it gets too cold. Set my Heat Pump rather low. 63° last few few nights. Around 60° when in full blown Winter mode.

May have to fire up my Woodstove 1st time in the AM. I've been trying to hold off as long as possibe, although I have been very interested in seeing how it will perform. Fall is here.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Ridefar said:
    Soon as you start to feel the slightest bit of dampness get the heat on.
    When I was younger I used to hold out for November 1st, and for the life of me I cannot remember why.
    Mine dropped into the upper 50's in the house recently and I did not hesitate.
    Yeah, ours has been turned on for about 3 weeks. Doesn't run much but with the damp fall we have had in our part of Michigan it runs just enough to get rid of any dampness. I don't mind it being 65 degrees in the house as long as it is dry. Add in damp weather and that 65 doesn't feel all that good anymore. Bob
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Flatlands of eastern NC , had a few night in the low 60’s and one or two down to 50’s but no need of heat yet . Was well pleased with new heat pump last year , hope it continues .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    Up here in New York State on the Vermont border, we don't turn on the heat until we have to bust up the ice in the toilet.. :)
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    AHHHHH! The only fall we get up here.
    48 degrees overnight and early morning but 85 - 89 during the day, clear skies and sunny. I have the windows open overnight and the ceiling fans on during the daytime. Couldn't be much better except to have some fall colors and a couple of rain storms.

Best.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

That brings back memories. Me and a Buddy had a run down house off Campus in JC, TN. after I got out of the Army, and went back to School. (East TN. State Univ.) We did not put too much trust in the electric baseboard heaters not burning the house down. Had a big woodstove in the living room, we used a lot.

Yeah the bathroom got really, really cold. 😨

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

I worked out side for 42 years on the railroad in every kind of weather there could be. Rule number 1, keep the house warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I learned how to dress a long time ago when I have to go out side. But I will have to admit I like it cool in the bedroom when I sleep at night.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    We are in the same boat...30 last night and only a high of 60 today....but 70's tomorrow so will continue to hold off for a while longer......My bride is all bundled up right now....I found a long sleeve shirt to go with my  shorts so I'm  good to go !
  • dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭
    We had our first snow this morning above the Mackinac Bridge heat is on.
    We had our first snow this morning above the Mackinac Bridge heat is on.
    Got a text with pics from our friends in the Keweenaw this morning. Couple inches on the ground and maybe three more tomorrow. You yoopers can keep it, us trolls don't want any yet. 😖 Bob
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Keep the snow to yourselves we don’t want any !

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

One word:

Lectricblanket

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    Snowing in Wisc as we speak.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife was kind of cold- I had to get her another cat.  Yeah, we have the most affectionate heating pads you have ever seen.  
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,279 ******
    We had our first snow yesterday morning, and I live in Michigan's lower peninsula!  :o  

Our heat has been running on and off for about 3 weeks now.  Also have had to sleep with the windows open a couple times during this same period.  Tis the season for ups and downs!
  • gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    Firm believer in turning heat on early for test run. If you wait for a really cold night and it doesn't work good luck getting an  over booked HVAC guy out to fix it.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    gartman said:
    Firm believer in turning heat on early for test run. If you wait for a really cold night and it doesn't work good luck getting an  over booked HVAC guy out to fix it.
    +10 then if it doesn't come on you aren't freezing your hiney off for 3-4 days waiting on repairman. we had brand new furnace installed 2 years ago, in spring as we needed new A/C also, both were 40 years old. when we went to turn furnace on that first winter it wouldn't run more than minute/30 seconds or so and shutoff. after many service calls and replaced sensors warranty free, seems the original installer had put to small an exhaust pipe in, upgraded it to 3 inch and haven't had a problem since, they claimed he was a new guy and just used what was on the truck....  also had the same problem with a new doublewide we had about 20 years ago, but it was a faulty thermostat, you never know.....  you can allways shut it back off till really freezing weather hits
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I turned mine on last week, since I have free gas on my property if it gets too warm I just open a window. :p
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    bpost, Explain the free gas thing.  I would like some of that.  :o
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    cbxjeff said:
    around here if you have a gas/oil well on your property you can run the gas from the well to one dwelling and use it for free, rest goes to whatever gas/oil well company did the drilling....... would guess the same thing applies to Bruce
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

I started the fireplace last evening. Mostly because I want to run it a couple times and put in an anti-creosote log before I try to clean it on Thursday. Supposed to be in the 70s and dry, while there is never a good day to get on the roof, this won’t be a bad one.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    I turn the heat or cooling on to stay comfortable and for little to no other reason.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    us55840 said:
    Southern folks are pretty soft.
    Yesterday am woke up to snowflakes falling out of the sky.  By around 1PM there was a good 1" layer of beautiful white winter wonderland everywhere.  Later in the day, most of it had melted.
    This morning the big white flakes were falling again and continued until around 2 PM with about 4" on the ground.
    That is what happens when you have CLIMATE CHANGE!
     ;) 
    Oh, someone said by this weekend, the high is to be a balmy 17 degrees.
     B) 

Some of us northern folk must be soft too. I sure ain't ready to get out the snow shovel.
    I agree with Mr. Perfect about turning on the heat or air conditioning. Ain't got nothing to prove so I might as well be comfortable. Bob
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

We here in Missouri struggle every year. Lows in the 30's, wind, rain, fog, highs this week in the 80's. Shorts and long johns. Its a typical October kind of weather.

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my thermostat set at 72 year round . My house is comfortable always.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    cbxjeff said:

The free gas is from a well on my land, I am allowed to get my house gas free.  It took me using my back hoe to dig a 1,500 foot long trench to get the gas to my house.  I installed a genset that runs on natural gas or propane, a gas dryer, water heater and stove plus converted one propane furnace to natural gas and installed a new gas furnace/AC unit in the new part of my home.  The investment was a little over $8,000 to do it all.  It paid for itself after five years now I am enjoying free heat, hot water and cooking.  It was installed over eight years ago.  I love the zero dollar heat I get from the free gas!
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    brier-49 said:
    I have my thermostat set at 72 year round . My house is comfortable always.

72??? Way to hot for me!!! 68 is just right...The wife can put on more clothes to be comfortable at that temp...And I refuse to get her any "CATS"  to help her keep warm! (The winter battle begins!)    :D
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a power pole on my land.......I wonder if I can get free electricity?
    Actually there are scads of those huge windmills around, but the land owner doesn't get free electricity. I asked.
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Never........ever............use the heat in my efficiency apt. here in Austin...........if it get's chilly I use a blanket, if it gets really chilly........I use a ceramic space heater to toast up the place. And oh yeah.............even with 30 day stretches of over 100 degree heat........I maintain my place at 78 F and never pay more than $60/mo in electricity.

Sometimes living in a small place by yo' self.............has its advantages.