In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rio Shotgun Ammunition

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
Has anyone shot/owned any Rio 12ga ammo similar to the listing below? What do you think of it? I have a 250 round case of 2-3/4 00 buck I bought at a gun show 10-12 years ago, and have never opened it. 

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 250 round case of their Royal Buck a couple years back and have probably ran 30 rounds through my M2 with 0 issues.   Nine 00 pellets at 1345 FPS will put a hurtin' on whatever you're slingin' it at!
    If you're givin' it away, I'll drive up that way and take it off your hands!  Heck, I might even buy you lunch!
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    Sorry Neo, no give away. Might need that stuff for "huntin' critters" :D I was pretty cheap when I bought it($65.00 IIRC), and of course the dealer told me it was good stuff but I never heard anything about it.
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

I have never had a problem with it in 410 gauge, other than were they crimp the front it seems to be a little wider than most 410 shells I have used, causing them to be a little tight in loading but no problem extracting after being shot. Never used it in 12 gauge. Spanish made ammo.

• badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

While not apples to apples, we bought Rio #7 1/2 for my club’s turkey shoot one year. The price was right and was having a hard time finding Winchester so figured why not? Well, biggest mistake we ever made. Some shotguns wouldn’t extract the hulls and had to keep a dowel rod on the firing line to clear them. The QC was horrible, some were so full of shot that the crimps were bulging while others would rattle from not enough. Had to check hulls for too much plastic around the brass or they wouldn’t chamber. I cannot confirm because we never ran any over a chronograph to test, but we all felt like powder charges were very inconsistent. Guys with very good pattered guns would be peppering the heck out of their targets and then have one with maybe 20 pellets in it. People stopped coming and told us to let them know when we switched away from Rio. We ended up buying a different brand to finish the season. Might even have a few cases left in the storage room!!

Sorry for being long winded and not exactly what you are asking about but felt my experience with the stuff was worth throwing out for you.

@BobJudy I hope you are right about the move, I sure was embarrassed for them. Still boggles my mind that they would let them ship out as bad as they were.

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    badchris said:

While not apples to apples, we bought Rio #7 1/2 for my club’s turkey shoot one year. The price was right and was having a hard time finding Winchester so figured why not? Well, biggest mistake we ever made. Some shotguns wouldn’t extract the hulls and had to keep a dowel rod on the firing line to clear them. The QC was horrible, some were so full of shot that the crimps were bulging while others would rattle from not enough. Had to check hulls for too much plastic around the brass or they wouldn’t chamber. I cannot confirm because we never ran any over a chronograph to test, but we all felt like powder charges were very inconsistent. Guys with very good pattered guns would be peppering the heck out of their targets and then have one with maybe 20 pellets in it. People stopped coming and told us to let them know when we switched away from Rio. We ended up buying a different brand to finish the season. Might even have a few cases left in the storage room!!

Sorry for being long winded and not exactly what you are asking about but felt my experience with the stuff was worth throwing out for you.

I had just the opposite results. No problems and just as consistent as Remington or Winchester. I believe their shot shell production was moved to Texas and maybe they had some early problems getting their quality control up to where it should be. Bob
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    I bought a case of the OO at Cabela's a couple of years ago and ran 25-30 rounds through my Remington 1100 Social Encounter SG.  It ran just fine and patterned very well.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I shoot RIO in the 410 and 28 ga.  Decent ammo w/o any issues I've noted. Pretty sure I also have a case of the 12ga 00 buck somewhere but didn't shoot any of it.