In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which are you shoot best, a handgun, a rifle or a shotgun??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
I will compare myself to what I would consider to be an average shooter.  Remember, I said average shooter.  To me it isn't all that hard to be better than average.
Handgun.  I'm way better than the average person.  This has to due with the number of rounds I've put downrange in my life with a handgun.  I know I've shot well over 50,000 rounds from my various handguns but know I haven't done 100,000 rounds.
Rifle.  I'm better than the average rifleman but probably not be all that much.   As a deer hunter I usually use a single shot rifle, only take shots I know I can make and never, ever shoot at a running deer and try and keep my shots at or under 100 yards.  As a result it has been years since I have squeezed my trigger and didn't go out and start dragging my deer up to where I was parked.  So is my high % shots on deer because I'm a good shot or because I only take high % shots???  
Shotgun.  I might be better than the average shotgunner but I might not be better than the average shotgunner.   Part of my problem shooting a shotgun is with a handgun or a rifle I put the sights on the target and hold steady.  I don't shoot a shotgun much and to be honest leading something is not something I do naturally!

So which of the three do you shoot best??  One thing I am sure of, most of you are better with a shotgun than I am!!

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Rifle, hands down.  Pistol, better than average  Shotgun, I have won several shooting contests competing with my Browning Citori.  For some reason the Citori and I just meld into one.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too bad with a rifle, but I do love and shoot my pistols more.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Fair to poor wing shooter, passable with a handgun other than my single six with the 9&1/2 inch barrel . Very good with it. Little better than average with a rifle . I too , cull my shots . To much respect for the resource to try a Hail Mary shot at ridiculous yardage . Take your time , make the shot count . Too old and fat to be dragging deer out of the brambles

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    Colt SAA, it's a natural pointer to me........ :)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    Above average with all 3, except skeet/trap with shotgun.   Shotgun as a slug gun, very well.  Pistols above average.  Rifles, above average but not as well as in the past.  
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

Shoot them all half way poorly

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    Rifle, without a doubt. Shotgun shooting sports such as trap and skeet are like golf; they require a lifetime of dedication and constant practice. I've spent big money on top quality skeet and trap guns, all to no avail. I'm a decent handgun shot, but my vision isn't what it used to be- not that it was ever all that great, and the pistol targets tell the tale. 
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

I used to shoot a ton of Trap. 15 years ago I could run 100 birds straight and it wasn’t unusual.

There was a transition period over about 3-4 years when I moved from trap to IDPA, then IDPA to USPSA. I have been shooting USPSA consistently for 10 years or so.

As I type this I am in a hotel waiting to shoot USPSA nationals.

I would say my primary strength today is handguns. I am now shooting competitively at the national level.

Shotguns -I am confident I can hold my own.

Rifles- not sure I know how to shoot a deer.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Shotgun - better than average by a good margin
    Rifle - with scope better than average, iron sights not so much anymore
    Pistol - can hit what I am aiming at providing it is big enough, see above
    Sucks having your eyes get old. Bob
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    Shotgun, rifle and.....................................................................................................................Pistol, in that order, and that skill level.
    I like light weight handguns, cause after I empty it, I can throw it pretty far !!!!
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    very proficient with a shotgun,  either shot or slug.  didn't have much call to shoot rifles growing up,  other than some sporterised military and ground hog hunting.  pistols just never appealed to me at all,  even to this day.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    Back when I was competing I won my share of 3 gun matches, but I like handgun the best.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Warbirds said:

I used to shoot a ton of Trap. 15 years ago I could run 100 birds straight and it wasn’t unusual.

I'm wounded! No credit for coaching, or showing you what a difference good ammo makes? B)
    Years back, Warbirds made a 3hr drive up here to meet, and shoot some Trap with me. Shows up with a nice Remington 3200, but a 6pak of Walmart bulk ammo. I let him burn that up while I corrected his rookie mistakes. He was still getting frustrated trying to bust more than 22/25. Handed him a couple of boxes of Armusa Competition Trap loads, and it was 25/25 the rest of the day! Couldn't wipe the smile off his face.
    When he got back home, I think he blew a whole paycheck on a Dillon progressive shotshell loader. After that, I never made a money bet with him at the Trap range.

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

I can hit targets further away with a rifle and I can hit moving targets better with a shotgun.

But from your post I assume you mean, "compared to other shooters"?

HANDGUNS!

Shot them in competition, hunt with them, shoot them regulary, various calibers, lots and lots of rounds down range.

And, I enjoy shooting them more.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    At one time shotgun when I was  in High School I was on the trap team in my senior  yearI had to shoot from the 27 yd line and about 20 years ago I belong to a sporting clay club  and won a couple amateur matches. 
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    Ill let you know in a couple of days.  I live on a river bank and Im shooting all three at acorns in the water at 150 yards,  Its 26 degrees here this morning so they may not be moving too fast.  
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭

I would say shotgun, I rarely miss either birds or clays but I don't shoot competition either so maybe the clays courses would be tougher than what I'm shooting. I use Ruger Red Label for trap and upland hunting. Benelli Super Vinci for waterfowl.

Rifle would probably be next. I'm good to 500 yards with my 7mm mag on deer. My 22-250 I've never really shot over 250 yards with but I'm good to at least that. We shoot some long range rifle in one of my fields but I can't say I've taken the time to consistently hit at various ranges of 650-850.

Pistol, I'm fairly decent but don't do much "precision" shooting. Its mostly defensive shooting at shorter to moderate ranges on steel plates.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience a good handgun shooter can also shoot a rifle well. Shotguns are different. I was lucky to have a nationally ranked skeet shooter give me some instruction in my formative years.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Rifle.  And, I need both hands to steady a handgun for well aimed shots.
    What's next?
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I throw rocks at leaves on my pond.

(But) I'm pretty good at it.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I think I am adequate with all three......but like to shoot pistols the most.....eye sight issues and old age has slowed me down a might but I still get by...