In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weatherby Vanguard Part

mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
I have an acquaintances Vanguard needing a bolt-stop screw.  The head snapped off.  Have been able to remove the threaded portion, no damage to bolt stop and the spring stayed in place,  Can't seem to find one anywhere on-line.  Looked at Numrich, Brownell, MGW, Jack First and a few others.  If they had it listed at all, it's out-of-stock and no backorder.  I've emailed to Weatherby but don't expect an answer until after the first of the week.  Any ideas???  I believe this is an "old style", based on the trigger/frame screw.  Are Howa parts interchangeable?  I haven't looked at those yet.

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    The Howa 1500 parts should interchange. Sorry to say but I just did a quick search and can't find one listed online. Maybe it is time to call Weatherby. Good luck Bob
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Edit: The Howa and Vanguard take the same screw. Unfortunately, just any screw won't work, it has to have that bearing shoulder. That's the weak point in the design, the load is on the small threaded section. It's a common problem, caused by a hard full stroke ejection. Winchester used something like it, but that bearing shoulder was part of the receiver so the only load on the screw, was to retain the bolt stop.
    Had a brain cell spark, and remembered the S&W 1500 is the same rifle, searched for that screw and found some a lot cheaper than Rebel's price. I'd order more than one if I were you.

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Being Japanese, more than likely it's metric. Being that your in a hurry, and all the usual sources aren't forthcoming. Might try to see if one  local hardware store(s), carry any metric bolts that could be jury rigged to work? Hope you saved the threaded portion? To help to find a metric bolt, with same OD and pitch.
    TRAP55 said:
    I saw that one but couldn't get it to give me a shipping quote from their location in Australia. Bob
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    You can contact them at sales@rebelgunworks.net , but I don't believe that they currently export anything.
    Neal
    See my edit above.
    TRAP55 said:
    See my edit above.
    Good job Trap! I even checked Jack First but had a brain fart and forgot the S&W. Good folks to deal with too. Bob
    BobJudy said:
    TRAP55 said:
    See my edit above.
    Good job Trap! I even checked Jack First but had a brain fart and forgot the S&W. Good folks to deal with too. Bob
    Second thing to go is the memory, I forget what the first thing was. ;)
    When Jack First was out here in Lancaster, the old man was a real ahole to deal with, the kids were easy to get along with. He tried to screw me on $300 worth of parts one time (a lot of money back then), and I left the whole pile on the counter and walked out. Found everything I needed at Numrich, and saved a bunch of money.
    Numrich was a different place then too.  People were courteous, and helpful, even digging through boxes in the back when the part showed out of stock. Now they send rusty worn out/broken junk, and I have to keep sending it back until they send something usable.

TRAP55 said:
    BobJudy said:
    TRAP55 said:
    See my edit above.
    Second thing to go is the memory, I forget what the first thing was. ;)
    When Jack First was out here in Lancaster, the old man was a real ahole to deal with, the kids were easy to get along with. He tried to screw me on $300 worth of parts one time (a lot of money back then), and I left the whole pile on the counter and walked out. Found everything I needed at Numrich, and saved a bunch of money.
    Numrich was a different place then too.  People were courteous, and helpful, even digging through boxes in the back when the part showed out of stock. Now they send rusty worn out/broken junk, and I have to keep sending it back until they send something usable.

When they moved to Rapid City they were a full line gun shop. Bought a "few" bullets there to reload my prairie dog ammo when I passed through town on the way home. Picked up a No.1 Ruger when they were closing out the guns at a real fair price. Maybe the move to S.Dakota mellowed them a bit.🤔 Bob
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.  Legacy Sports, according to Howa, is go-to for parts.  Have a phone number to try tomorrow.  I'll pursue the Smith & Wesson suggestion and link..  In terms of metric, the rifle says Made in the USA and Made in Japan on it.  The thread count seems to be #4-40, but not for sure.  My son found the rebel gun works site.  Money exchange is around $14.00 + shipping (WOW)!  Might have to post in Want Ads.  I'll get back to you all if this discussion stays open.  Couldn't find a route to add to my original post like "old" system.
This discussion has been closed.