In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Can anyone tell me if my 73, serial number 132102 is a Delux, Special Order?

Boomer65Boomer65 Member Posts: 7
edited October 2020 in Ask the Experts
Hello all.  Just got this one and it has an octagonal barrel and a half magazine.  looks to have been made in 1883.  Please check out the pictures and let me know if you recognize anything about this rifle.

Thanks

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    If that's a magazine ring dovetail cut, about 4" rear of the muzzle, bottom of the barrel, then it "was" a Standard Sporting Rifle. It was worth more before Bubba made it a half mag. The good news is, it can be put back original.
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    It was a special order gun since it has a  28" barrel. Its not a deluxe. The mag tube was shortened I suspect from a bad dent in the tube and they shortened it to remove the bad part. Even if you put the full length mag tube on it you will always have the extra dovetail cut which hurts the value.
    Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Boomer65Boomer65 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Bob!  Should I just leave it 'as is' and not modify it any further?  The dovetail cut was done well and it looks natural  even though its not correct.
    Jack
    Also Bob, what do you think this one is worth as it is?
    Thanks!
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    As to fixing it, it depends on if you want it to look right from a distance.  It will never be a collector piece because of the extra cut on it so the money you spend on the new tube and spring will not make it worth much more.  A 28" barrel is a special order (24" standard) but does not command much of a premium and since its a 38 caliber its worth about $1200.
    Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
    Thank you Bob for taking time with me on this.  I am humbled to be getting advice from one who really knows all about these wonderful guns and is willing to put ego aside and reply!!
    God Bless!
    Jack