In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rocky Raab - O2 Skymaster question

iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
RR, I tripped over a site discussing the O2 Skymaster just the other day, remembered I have an associate that flies one (haven't gotten a ride yet) and it dawned on me (DUH moment) that the O2 is a twin engine plane and that you must have had a twin engine rating to fly one.  Would that mean that the USAF would allow you to fil C-123s and other twin engine aircraft? Care to shed some light on this?  

Comments

• Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    I don't think you need a twin endorsement to fly a O2 Duck because the motors are in line.  Not sitting out on a wing where the the good engine wants to to turn into the dead engine.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    That's correct. On your civilian pilot license, it would say "Multi Engine Centerline Thrust". You'd need lots more training to get a full Multi rating. 
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    C-123's actually have 4 motors; 2 with props and 2 jets.  2 turning and 2 burning
    RLTW

• Options
    Cessna's idea when they designed the plane was to enable single-engine pilots a much easier upgrade to a twin-engine plane. Unfortunately, the design also gave not much more than single-engine performance but with all the added expense of a twin. It was discontinued years ago. 
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Neat plane, also known as a push-pull, my brother owned one back in the early 80's and it was stolen down in Miami by drug runners.....it was later found crashed with dead occupants   :o

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    In the USAF a pilot must attend ground school and a flight check  to fly the particular aircraft being qualified for.  Then maintain currency flying that particular aircraft.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that plane also called the "Mixmaster?"
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Cessna's idea when they designed the plane.........
    Rocky, what do you think of the Cessna engineer designed ultralight home-built called the Skypup? I have fantasized for years about building one so I could fly.............have PPL ground school and a few flight lessons under my belt but ran out of free time and money to continue. Built and flown MANY R/C models and have B license for skydiving (not afraid of the air). I see the Skypup as a scaled up model............2 control surfaces and a 100 or so hp motor (Lycoming 120 maybe?). I think it would be a great project to tackle over a year or two in free time.
  • Options
    Never heard of it, Mohawk. Ultralights and Sport aircraft have a deplorable safety record, almost assuredly because little if any formal flight training is required.