In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ripped off...police report.

DonJuan DonJuan Member Posts: 4

Not sure if this the right section so my apologies in advance if not. Purchased a gun at auction on 9/5 and paid through “cash app”. The seller was relatively new but had 12 solid reviews that looked legit. Got the runaround for weeks as to it being shipped, eventually no further contact from seller. We’re going on almost 2 months and I’m out $4,100 with no rifle. Tried filing a report online for Texas but they sent it back and said to file a report where I’m at (Nevada). Anyone provide advice as to where I should file or other steps to take? I’m sure I’m out the $4,100 but I know the name and relative location of the seller to provide the authorities to hopefully dish out some sort of justice. In Texas, that amount of theft is considered a felony from what I saw. There probably is a bunch of federal laws broken in regards to commerce etc as well. ANY advice is highly appreciated. Never again will I purchase with cash, credit card only in the future. Thanks.

Comments

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Find an attorney in his town in Texas. See if they will file a theft charge in their court. 
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    If the transaction was on Gunbroker there is a very specific protocol to follow.  There is also a Federal route to prosecute because it is Interstate Commerce.  For the life of me I can't remember the group of cooperative authorities who does this.  I had a similar situation that I know others here were scammed on as well.  The suspect was arrested and prosecuted in Federal Court in California but I never received final notification of the outcome.  There is a great deal of paper work and paper trail required.