In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

? about Rem 700 BDL in 338 mag

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
have a rem 700  .338 mag that someone converted to a detachable magazine.  what parts do i need to buy to put it back to a factory configuration.  are the parts for a regular long action (30-06)  the same as a magnum cal.    also wanting to buy a replacement stock, is a standard long action stock the same as a magnum stock? thanks.

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,347 ***** Forums Admin
    I'll offer what help I can, but I'm far from an expert on this stuff. A standard long action BDL hinged floor plate and magazine box should work just fine. You might need a "magnum" follower, 7mm, 300, 338, but I'm not sure on that. They made a version (CDL?) that had a detachable magazine. As far as the stock, every 700 magnum I saw had a cross bolt through the stock behind the recoil lug. Also, as far as I am aware, magnums have a heavier barrel contour. The stock will need a corresponding barrel channel, so a standard chambering 30-06/270 type stock won't work. 
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    varian said:
    have a rem 700  .338 mag that someone converted to a detachable magazine.  what parts do i need to buy to put it back to a factory configuration.  are the parts for a regular long action (30-06)  the same as a magnum cal.    also wanting to buy a replacement stock, is a standard long action stock the same as a magnum stock? thanks.
    We have part of the answer above except for the DBM conversion on your rifle.

There are two versions of DBM available for the M700; one which fits the original factory inlet (mostly drop-in) and all the others which need to have the factory inlet machined larger to fit the ones marked M5. You just have to determine which one you have by placing factory bottom metal in the inlet in your stock. If there is space around it where you can move it around, you have an M5 inlet. If it drops-in perfectly close, you have a PT&G or H-S Precision match to factory inlet.

If your inlet matches the factory, just replace it directly. If your inlet has been machine larger, you will need to replace the stock.

When replacing the factory stock, be aware that the factory makes three inlets for the barrel channel; Standard barrel contour, Varmint contour and Magnum barrel contour.

Nearly every barrel maker has Remington contours available and some of the stock makers offer barrel inlets to match factory contours.

Best.