In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

L579 Forester Deluxe in .308

JabberwockJabberwock Member Posts: 8
In 1975 my father purchased a .308 Sako L579 Forester Deluxe while stationed in England with the Air Force. According to the serial number I believe it was manufactured in 1972. It bears the "Sakolope" engraving on the floorplate. It is in about 90% condition overall with just light handling marks. It is not stamped "Bofors", nor is it "Pre-Garcia" as I understand that Garcia was just an importer to the US. He has the original box. I have only ever seen 1 other example of the .308 Sakolope combination. It was in lesser condition than my father's example as the recoil pad was smushed from storage. It sold at auction for ~ $2,000. My questions are, is this gun exceedingly rare? And is $2,000 a fair estimate of its value? Thank you for any thoughts.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Fair market value is based on demand. When a particular firearm is so uncommon, there are no comparative sales to get a feel for what the FMV would be. It's quite difficult to estimate it's potential value?

Check out what other older SAKO rifles are selling for on the auction. To see how popular they are with collectors, to get a ballpark feel on what yours might be worth.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    About 30 or so years ago I had a Sako collection and I also had one of those Sako deluxe versions in 243? I think. It was my prize of the small collection and yes, imo, rare. Although rare doesn't always equate value I really believe 2k would be a good buy with box.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881244076
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    For those of us who ask about the 'Sakolope', here is an illustration photographed from an original L579:

Best.

• JabberwockJabberwock Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your posts. I guess I owe you guys some photos. After our hunting this weekend, I will bring it home to clean it up for Pops. I will snap some photos and post them for you. Many thanks for your thoughts.