In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yet again, another Hi-Standard model B question....

chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
Acquired a well loved Model B, looks to be 6 inch barrel, shoots like a dream. Unusual serial number on front of grip-  4 1776.  Yes, there is a space between 4 and 1776.  Any idea of DOM?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    John Stimpson, ( Mr. High Standard ). Monitors   this site. He should be around shortly. I've owned a number of "B"'s, over the years. Never seen a SN like that? 
  • John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    The unusual spacing of the serial number is not common but known to have happened.
    41,776 shipped 4/8/1939 to Amarillo Hardware Co.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    Rufe- me neither.  Even put it under microscope- no indication of light strike number between 4 and 1776.  Just a space of smooth metal.  But I kinda like having a 1776 pistol!  :)
    John- Thank you most kindly.  Love to know how this old girl made it from Amarillo to Virginia!  The finish is but a fond memory, but it functions and shoots as well as the day it was made.    
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Inferring from John's post. The numbering die used for stamping the serial number, was either broken or malfunctioning.

My question in light of this. Is how are you so sure, the 2nd digit is the number one? 
    Well, the sn is 4 1776.  There is NOTHING in that space between the 4 and the 1.  No trace of nothing.  So the visible SN is what I would have to go by.  Only other way I know of to date is is saw it in half and count the rings.  :} 
  • John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    A six digit serial number, with a digit where  the space appears, on a Model B would have to have a number 1 as the first digit.  Of course there is always an exception there is a 1969 serial number were ATF approved a then current 7 digit number for a model be that was returned to High Standard for service which had a missing serial  number.