In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FFFG verses FFG

I mistakenly purchased FFFG instead of FFG, can I use this in my rifle.
I had open it before i noticed so i can"t return it?

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    I shoot FFFG in my .50 flinters. 
    FFG in my shotguns and smoothbores. 
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    According to The Lyman Black Powder Handbook, the answer is YES.  3FG will give higher pressure and velocity but well within safe limits.  You can decrease the amount of 3FG to get the same velocity as 2FG.  Most of their rifle loads were with 3FG for calibers .36 to .54.  For .58+ cal. and shotgun they used 2FG.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    yes, as others have stated just back off the full load amount. I am not recomending any kind of load data or safe load data, but I use FFF in my rifles and instead of 90 grains of FF I use 70-75 grains of FFF accuracy is close enough to kill deer, just start low and work up till you get the accuracy you had. I still use real black powder, goex brand, and I know folks will tell you how much cleaner pyrex or the others are, so be it, I have way less misfires with real black powder and the clean up is just the price you pay to muzzleload hunt, only takes 10 minutes or so with hot water and dawn when you get home/done.  I have even used FFF in the flash pan of my flintlock, as long as I get a good spark it will go bang everytime. one of the reasons I went to FFF exclusively only need one powder flask, no need to keep things seperated.
  • OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

What brand/type is your 3F?
    and what rifle?
  • RintintinRintintin Member Posts: 2

in my 50 and 54 cal rifles i use exclusively fffg. have a few more feet per second doesnt suck when your hunting

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

I use 2F in .54 and .58 caliber rifles. For the .32s, I use strictly 3F. Also, regardless of caliber, in flintlocks I find 3F to be more reliable, and quicker to ignite.