In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

powder for 270 win short mag

been awhile since ive reloaded but am digging out my stuff anyways what is a good powder choice for the 270wsm

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

What weight bullets?

Hodgdon's site has some good info.

Nice to see ya back!

• cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭

thanks! i like that site... i havent reloaded in several years ammo shortage here is ridiculous....reloading components too,

i was in store couple days ago and if you dont have the ammo you need for hunting your gonna have to throw rocks at'em i guess

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

A good powder choice depends on the bullet weight and bullet length which affects the seating depth. There are average bullets which pertain to average loads usually found in factory or commercial loads but when reloading there is a myriad of choices.

I did a quick check of available factory ammunition and it's a sorry reflection of the state of fear we're expericing these days. I didn't locate any from the large suppliers but I'm sure that some of the LGS will have a box or so on the shelf.

So, given the above, reloading is the alternative to purchasing. Be sure to check the Nosler reloading data as they usually have some reliable data to test.

There are several bullet weights listed, just select the weight you want to review.

I am using a .270 WSM with a slightly shortened barrel (22") in a chassis stock as an experimental platform. The powders I've tested so far with good results are:

VVN-560

Re-25 or 26

H-1000

H-4831

Ramshot Magnum

Norma MRP

My tests were based on the heavier Berger 170 gr. Elite Hunter which are available currently from several suppliers. This bullet outperforms even the lighter VLD bullets from every other manufacturer. You will have a better trajectory and plenty of energy, even for elk out to distances we shouldn't be shoot to.

Enjoy!

ok thanks guys

"I am using a .270 WSM with a slightly shortened barrel (22") in a chassis stock as an experimental platform."

Well knock me over with a feather!😉

Nononsense and a 27 caliber rifle??? Surely we are in the end times!🤣

"Nononsense and a 27 caliber rifle??? Surely we are in the end times!🤣"

Volcanoes spewing forth lava, the Earth rumbling and land sliding into the seas while towering waves crash against the craggy cliffs! OMG!😤🤗😀

Naw. My prejudice is only set against the .270 Winchester and for the very same reasons that folks are against the 6.5 Creedmoor.

It's only been recently that I considered the .270 WSM and that's due to the advent of the Berger 170 gr. EOL Elite Hunter bullet.

Superb bullet design which is perfectly suited to the WSM case capacity and OAL when used in a DBM. Only the diameter is unfortunate... The rifle is an ultralight chassis which I developed for mountain hunting for sheep and goats when a hunter wanted less weight but excellent accuracy.

Best.

What rate of twist do you have for those 170's? 1/9? 1/8?

Sounds like an intriguing rifle.

Sorry for the partial hijack, Cowdoc!

"What rate of twist do you have for those 170's? 1/9? 1/8?"

Actually, based on the potential for colder conditions, I opted for the 1:8.5" twist.

Best.

neo, no problem i was going to ask about the twist too

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, 170's out of a 270, things are definitely getting interesting. I went to the Berger site and found more info on them.

Maybe I don't have enough coffee in me yet, but they mention that they need a 1:8 or faster twist, but then they say that the EOL rifles have a 1:8.5 twist that is plenty for them. What kind of speed are you getting out of them?