In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Busy busy busy....I now own an enclosed trailer....what to put on it to help deter thieves???

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭

I called around and never found exactly what I wanted. We were interested in a 5x8' trailer with pointed front (to help with gas mileage). I found that size trailer, well built with rock guard, tie downs already inside, but it was square instead of having the pointed nose. We called and found a 5x12' trailer in stock at a nearby place with a ramp back door, no side door, and rock guard for about $1000 less than the other one was priced.

I'll NEVER pull this thing myself, so I let the person who will be pulling it make all the decisions on what we got. I just provided the debit card. You guys do not want me to handle chainsaws or trailers....stop me if you think either of these is about to happen.

Now, I've been told we need to order magnetic signs that say MANURE on them to help keep sticky fingers from looking at it like it might have treasure inside.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

Get some of the Master brand discus style padlocks to lock the doors up. The discuss style is harder for thieves to cut than a regular padlock. My wife the cop told me this when I bought my tool trailer.

To help with mileage make sure that the hitch you use holds the trailer as parallel to the ground as possible. Lots of different options available there.

• claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭

If you are going to be carrying what I think you will, you definitely need one of these.

Magnetic GPS Tracker Real time Vehicles kids Hidden Car Tracking device GSM GPRS 606098865776 | eBay

• BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Back it up to something to prevent the door being opened.

If you want signage go for a vegetable farm, or specifically a brussle sprout & cauliflower farm! Crooks don’t eat healthy!

Pulling a trailer isn’t hard to learn, both of my daughters could hitch up and wheel around, backup, load and unload a 3 horse trailer with a tack room before the state said they could drive. Just back up slowly and remember this - put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction that you want the trailer to go.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

Look into the gps trackers to put on it . With what you are hauling . you can most likely write it off as a business expense

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭

go and talk to your insurance agent to make sure the contents will be covered you may need a ryder on your policy to cover what you will be hauling, give him real figures on total possible amount, better to know now than later, also if someone else is pulling it will the contents be covered, I would ask all the questions before the road trip.......

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

Remove castle ... insert 5x8' trailer 😜

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

If you leave guns in a trailer at a motel kiss them good by. One of the shops here had a trailer full of guns stolen, didn't feel like unloading after a show, and the next morning everything was gone. The ATF went ballistic by the way. Our guys used to have a lot of trouble with tools being stolen out of service trucks at hotels. If I had to stop I would stay with the trailer all night and keep it in my sight with a good alarm that would wake me up. I would have enough people where we could drive straight through without stopping for the night. Good luck!! Me thinks you will get some snow driving experience as well.

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

How about radioactive materials warning symbols on all sides?

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Some great advice... Insurance... Insure the trailer. Contents most likely won't be covered unless on a separate policy. Good advice on hitch lock. And a camera in the tow vehicle when parked or ask the motel where their camera's are when you park. Don't forget two spare tires. Sounds crazy but when you are a long ways from home and run over something you will thank me. Small generator, extension cord to run the sawzall to cut the wire off the tire that wrapped around the axle when the tire comes apart . 4 way lug wrench or an extend break over bar with a 6 point socket for the lug nuts. My insurance on the 26' aluminum enclosed car trailer is like 80 bucks a yr.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

A nice comfortable bed inside for you keep an eye on things.

I can be in side that in a short time with a battery side grinder with a cut off blade.

• JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

Get a sign for the local rendering company. Also a inedible sign.

People will keep away from it.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of business signs such as "Valley Dead Animal Removal" ought to do it. Especially if you add "Health Hazard: Protective Clothing Required."

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

A little late for this advise, but a dual axle would have been better. They ride better, carry more weight & if a tire goes, the second on that side will carry it until you stop. You'll be surprised how the cargo weight can build up. And yes, a second spare.

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭

I Agree. While funny to talk about if I was a thief and saw some of the signs people are suggesting that would be my first target.

Best advice is the hitch lock on your vehicle and stay at the nicest most well lit expensive hotel in the nicest part of whatever town you stay in.

• scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭

All good suggestions. Probably impractical to sleep in the trailer. In addition to the good ideas offered, I’d install a motion sensor inside the trailer with a loud alarm and 360 degrees of very bright light. Anyone breaks in and it’ll make a racket.

• papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I wired a couple direct 12v lines to the back of my Sube and keep a baby monitor running 24/7. monitor in house.. It transmits at any noise and crystal clear. Rain is just static but noticable.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

Just be careful about where you stop and park and spend the night. Wheel/axle locks and alarms. Other than that.......as others have said.........a battery operated angle grinder and about 3 minutes will open the side of that trailer up like a sardine can

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

Good ideas. HF makes a driveway alert. Buy 2 on the same channel. Sensors in the trailer with one annunciator and the other in your room. The baby monitor could be left under the back of the trailer. You'd hear anyone even near it.

• CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭

That is a lot of trailer for 1 axel but you'll be fine. I'd probable go with biohaxardous waste signage if that's not a DOT or CDL issue, including a medical waste company name.

• gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

As far as signs, I hear that most of the people that would break into the trailer don’t like snakes. I would have a sign made about transporting dangerous snakes.

• love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Something battery operated that would simulate movement coupled with the snake signs would give most thieves the creeps.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭

if you go for signs use moving co. or even goodwill, or some private company, saying clean your basement/garage and haul off unwanted goods, not sure everyday thief break in for yard sale items........

All fun aside, LC. The truth is that if they want to take it or get into it, they can and will. Locks and alarms are best but not absolute protection. The best plan would be to never leave it unattended if it's loaded. If that means a co-driver and no hotel stops, that's the price you pay.

• chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

No one precaution will insure you won't have a theft. All you can do is put the odds in your favor and hope the fortunes of war will be in your favor. Some of what I have done for security.

Tell all the neighbors there is a $1,000.00 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of any one stealing from me. You don't have to pay until you get results.

In the past my pets and their reputations helped deter theft. One night I woke up to hear someone screaming in terror. He (it was a male voice) ran thru a wood fence getting away. I don't have any of those pets now except a longhorn heifer that likes to sneak up on people.

Cactus.

Ambush. Had a problem of theft on a property. Sprung the ambush but it didn't turn out as good as hoped but it did solve the problem---no more theft.

• ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

An inside sound sensor aka baby alarm and a GPS tracking device would be my choices.

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭

We have confirmed that the trailer and the contents are covered under my business insurance policy, we just have to get an alarm of some kind (nothing specific, just any alarm will cover things in the policy.) I will get one of those GPS things, that looks ideal as a backup plan. We aren't planning on leaving it unattended once it is loaded. If I were driving it would be a bit different because I cannot drive more than 9 hours or so without a bit of insanity and ankles ballooning up to remind me I'm an old woman. We've got a different setup on the truck now to get the ball to line up with the trailer better. The one that was on it was not ideal, but got it home. For now we just have one spare tire, but I do like the idea of having two if we can. We've planned to take a floor jack with us to deal with a flat if it happens. I think I'll get some flares or something in case that sort of thing happens in a bad spot on the road.....maybe a light of some kind. Before I'm done this thing will be loaded up with survival gear. I wish it had the side door.

We got this for $2100. The smaller one from another company was going to be almost $1000 more.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

Just a side note...If that truck is going to be your haul vehicle...you need to lower the hitch...

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

The glow of your reddot

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

This may sound lame, but for $50 a year, a AAA card is worth its weight in bellybuttons if you break down. It covers you, not a specific vehicle, so even if you're riding along in a friend's vehicle, you're covered.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Yes the triangular road kit is required in most states, you have to set them out behind the trailer on a breakdown. 4x4 blocks are also handy to get the trailer lifted with a jack. Right advice on AAA They towed me once on a breakdown with a rollback, and hooked my car trailer to the rollback. Breakdowns will occur most at the most unlikely time.

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Well, a good start would be with a bamboo punji stick trap at the door along with some bull nettles thrown in to expand the pain and suffering...

😂

...well maybe not. 😂

What's next?

Hire some Black Lives Matter protesters. Be sure to get the white ones cause they are the mean ones. No one will mess with your little trailer if everything within 100 yards is on fire.

• Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭

I was a migrant worker. I worked as a contract engineer and would usually travel to other states to work. My contracts usually lasted 6 months to a year. I would load my belongings into a U-Haul trailer and head out to wherever the job was. It was fun at first and I had a chance to see this country.

Many of my colleagues, however, had trouble at motels. Some had trailers stolen, some had their entire rig stolen, truck, trailer and all their belongings.

After I surprised a thug trying to open my truck door at 2:00 AM in a motel parking lot, I started leaving my dog inside my truck overnight. He didn’t like it at first but when he saw he got special hazardous duty food in the form of juicy burgers and other yummy treats he grew to enjoy it. He soon became very excited each time he had to pull this special road duty and rewarded me by thwarting two thieves over the next 10 years. One of the thieves in Texas even got a free ride in a cop car.

Using my dog was my solution to the problem. It wasn't ideal but it worked for me.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November 2020

My dogs would show them where the spare keys

Stencil or glue some large numbers - doesn't matter what - on the roof. Thieves won't look there but it's a good way for cops to ID it.