In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"CAI" M1 Garand

asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

I've had one of these for many years. As I understand it, it has a cast iron receiver rather than a milled. Bought it new and probably don't have a box of ammo thru it. Shoots pretty well acturally! Any value here? Thanks

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November 2020

They have a bad rep to the point that serious M1 buyers won't touch one with a ten foot pole. The rifle has value on auction or at gun shows, where buyers won't know or understand exactly what the rifle is. I'm not insinuating you should lie, but let someone look it over and make their own informed decision.

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭

CAI, St Albans Vt is/ was a firearms importer- Century Arms International. SOME of their Garands were US manufactured M1s that were re-imported into the US, some were aftermarket receivers. IIRC, the companies that made govt issued Garands were Winchester, H&R, Springfield Armory, or International Harvester.  If it does not have a stamping that says one of those 4 on the heel, I would be real leery of it.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

CAI rifles were assembled with a lot of USGI parts, which are no longer inexpensive. I would not be surprised if someone bought a rifle with a CAI receiver just for parts, & threw away the receiver.

For the record, CAI receivers are cast (not cast iron), as opposed to USGI receivers which were forged & milled. There are many high quality firearms made with cast receivers (like Springfield Armory Inc's M1A). The basic problem with CAI receivers is that many are out of spec & the manufacturer did not inspect them as was done by USGI manufacturers & government inspectors. I worked on 2 of them. One had the op rod jump out of its track when fired, the other could only be assembled with a mallet & punch. When I am shooting a high power rifle a couple of inches from my face, I'd like to feel confident that it won't hurt me due to poor quality construction.

Neal