In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.350 Legend

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

I don't see much in print anymore. Anyone here hunt with one?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Seem to be really popular with the Iowedgian hunters. I see lots of "Legends" in the gun shops close to the state line.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Flash in the pan. Just like a lot of hot must have new chamberings that come down the pipe.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Just reinventing the wheel. The 351 Winchester dates to 1907. Since it was meant to be fired in a rifle, with a unlocked breech. They had to hold the velocity down. Since the Legend uses the AR platform, they goosed it up 400 fps over the 351. Other wise same same. The Legend, comes in the common .357 diameter though.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭

Check the ballistics on them, another invented round with no advantages - imo

• Options
    fayettefattsfayettefatts Member Posts: 28

I think it would be nice in a bolt gun, sort of a modern Spanish destroyer. Loaded down to 9mm levels and maybe cast bullets, It would be a fun gun! Could be loaded up to 357 Maximum levels if you wish.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Actually, this is simply untrue. Your intention of trying to be derisive and knowledgeable aside, there is a distinct advantage to using this cartridge:

"The cartridge was designed for use in American states that have specific regulations for deer hunting with straight-walled centerfire cartridges." -Wikipedia-

There are several states with laws on their books requiring the use of straight wall cartridges, no bottleneck cases allowed. The .350 Legend was developed specifically to address this need. The secondary usefulness stems from the case design allowing for use in the AR15 platform.

The .350 Legend was NOT developed to compete with the venerable .30-06 or the .243 Win. and certainly not the abject .270 Win. It is not a long range cartridge but designed for those heavily wooded states where shot distances are limited to shorter ranges. It was created to fill a niche specifically for those hunters residing in states requiring the use of straight wall cartridges for hunting deer. So, if you don't live in or hunt in states with that requirement, you have no horse in this contest. This cartridge has no bearing on your world.

Trying to demean the design by comparing it to the .351 SLR is equally silly because the Legend stomps the daylights out of the .351 by hundreds of FPS and energy on target. The .351, as well as all it's brothers, are like dinosaurs resting peacefully making carbon for us to use as oil. It was out of date, woefully under powered and had to be used from towers shooting downward to increase the velocity!😆😉 (where is the green font...)

You will only hear about this cartridge pre-hunting season and generally directed towards those states requiring this cartridge, no more no less. If it doesn't apply to you, get over it, move on.😃

Enjoy a wonderful Sunday!

ADDED:

"certainly not the abject .270 Win.

Talk about, "Your intention of trying to be derisive and knowledgeable"!

"Sorry, couldn't let that one slide."

I've written on this a dozen times over the years so I won't bore you with the rewrite. Simply put, I do not have any appreciation for the .270 Win. at all. My reasoning is soundly researched and written here on multiple threads. Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way but that's the way it is.

Best.

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

first, i dont own one but i have shot them. i like to shoot them and as nononsense stated they were developed for a specific reason and fulfill that need very well. i wish ruger would make one on the mini thirty platform, i think that would make a great short range hog gun. also before all this stupidity with the ammo situation, the cartridges for them were very reasonably priced.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

"certainly not the abject .270 Win."

Talk about, "Your intention of trying to be derisive and knowledgeable"!

Sorry, couldn't let that one slide.

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

I've been looking at getting one for a while now and when my Daughter told me she wanted to go deer hunting this year, it was what I decided to get her after letting her try several other rifles that I already had, calibers tried where 223, 300Blk, 30-30, 243 and 280, so I purchased a Ruger American , just the plain jane black one , cost was $399 at my LGS, I put a Burris 3x9x40 in Warne rings on it and shot several different brands and weights of shells ,

one reason I choose to go with the 350 Legend is that Winchester makes their white box range ammo for it and it sells at under $10/box even the hunting loads are lower cost coming in at just over 20 bucks /box, using that she was able to get a lot of practice in without costing me a whole bunch of money plus the fact that ammo was available in most stores

all groups where shot off sands bags at 100 yards ,here's the first 3 shot group after site in , Winchester white box 145 FMJ

here's a few more

even with the Browning shooting just a little tighter group she used the Hornady Custom 165 FTX to take this guy Sunday morning at 78 yards , 1 shot dropped him right in his tracks, she was shooting a little down hill , hit a rib going in, took out the top of both lungs , great blood loose and was dead in seconds ( you can kind of see where he was hit just above the barrel )

exit side

This discussion has been closed.