In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

JUNGLE CARBINE

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I always thought these little rifles looked cool but I have never shot one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884494167

Comments

• iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭

I've wanted one of those for many a moon. The fore cap on the stock isn't original.

Oh, and they kick like a mule.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

They have a hefty kick, but not as stout as say a MN M44 carbine. I would imagine when the No5's were new the recoil pad was useful, but 50+ years later the rubber pads are now harder than the wood stocks! The Jungle Carbine is an Interesting variant, but cutting down full sized service rifles into carbines always results in compromises.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know for sure about the cap on the forend but if you look at photo # 111 you will see the broad arrow and "F" for the Fazakerley factory where the rifle was made so I think it might be correct.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in these rifles. I've fired them and although I know a few things about them, I won't pretend to know enough to comment on what parts are correct and what aren't. With 113 photos, any potential buyer should be able to make an informed decision on what is correct and what is not.

I don't play games with the membership. If I don't know the answer to a question, I'll simply say so.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

So that story about you and Ken playing strip poker that night Everglades City isn't true??

(Ken, the secrets out! 🙄). Ricci, unless you have photos...😉

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭

I had one about 40 + years ago I picked it up ( bought) it at the Coondog trials I have posted about .

some old fellow ( he was my age now I would guess 😕 ) had it walking around with it ,

it was missing the magazine or clip ( your choice ) but 60.00 later it was mine . ( I had no idea what it was I just thought it was cool and I do not think the old fellow selling it did either ) I had no idea of the caliber or where to find parts but W.T.H. it was neat LOL. impulse buy

I do not remember where I found the magazine maybe numrich (sp ) arms ? or a local gun show in a box of parts . really do not recall but that was found a couple years after I got the rifle .

some years later when I found out they were a odd ball some what collector I sold it I think just over 300.00

it was neat rifle but at the time I sold it was going after a semi-auto rifle. one I wish I had kept

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Some of the #5s were made with the steel cap. The rifle is an outstanding specimen.

With the hard rubber pad and short barrel, the recoil of these #5 will get your attention.

Having owned and fired several examples, I consider the gun good for large targets at 50 yards max and. Accuracy is not even close to the #3s and 4s. IMHO accuracy sucks. Whenever anyone brings up the term "Wandering Zero" the term was created specifically for the #5.

A must have for an Enfield collector, but not the best for shooting. Plenty loud and plenty of flash.

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭

There just a neat rifle I've had mine for about 40 years along with the bayonet. They definitely a hoot to shoot.

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

$855!! Wow! I remember when those were selling at Roses for $69. I was in middle school and would race for the Sunday paper to see which "cheap" guns were on special. They had all kinds of surplus rifles, Norinco stuff, and the like. My parents would never let me get one, though, and by the time I turned 18, Roses was done with it all. It still pains me to this day to think about all the missed opportunities. Thanks a lot, Mom and Dad!!!! 😡

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

One of those has been on my wish list for awhile........but not at today's prices.

Don't feel too bad. My mother dislikes guns, and my becoming a gun dealer, which is all that I've done in my working life, hardly made her proud of me.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭

I was lucky growing up guns were just a part of life I thought every one had one or more I would guess in high school I found out some unfortunate people did not have a gun 😯

when I turned 16 and actually got a pay check I started buying a few guns ( I should have kept but long gone now ) but my parents signed for them and honestly they never said it however I think they thought it was a better choice than some of things I spent money on ( by the way they were right ) when I married my wife she had grew up around guns so she has always been ok ( cant say completely supportive due to cost LOL )

the jungle carbine is one I should have kept it was as posted not a hunting / target gun but was a net odd ball to have

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

Never owned or wanted one, but I can recall a time when they were being industriously faked for the collector crowd.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

That did good Ricci! As always a great job with the photos.

I saw the rifle in person and it just about the nicest one I have seen. I have shot a few and although they recoil more than a normal sized smelly they are not too bad, like MC said not as bad as a moist nugget M44.

RLTW

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭

My Brother (RIP) bought one in the mid '60s. That damned thing would stomp a mudhole in your shoulder! You needed to shoot it again to stomp it dry! That is exactly how many times I shot it. TWICE!!!

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

Had one in 308, it kicked like a mule. I let my best friend shoot it. He loved it.

I gave it to him. He now lives out in California.

Called him a few months ago during all the craziness. He still has it. Hasn't shot it in 20 years.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

113 pictures and not a single one that shows the entire rifle in one frame. Unbelievable.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November 2020

I think Ricci lives in a house which sits on its foundation at an angle. You seldom see a photo of one of his firearms laying on a flat surface: the guns are usually posed angled away from the camera lens.