In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Uberti 1847 Walker Colt problem

I an trying to shoot my Uberti pistol but every shot the cap blows apart sending pieces into
the mechanism so I need to dig out the pieces to cycle the cylinder. (#10 cci caps)
Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    The obvious test is to try different brands of caps and try #11 size caps.  Also check the shape of the nipples.  Too much taper may cause the problem; the theory being too much flame / pressure is flowing around the nipple instead of flowing through it.
    Caps often split and fall off upon firing but I have never experienced them blowing apart into pieces.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

I’d suggest checking out duelist1954 on YouTube. He’s an editor for several gun mags. But his specialty is black powder guns. He goes into detail on all the different cap & ball guns and what it takes to make them run.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

in the old westerns you will see the 'hero' take a shot with his revolver (don't make a difference what kind), then as he cocks it for the next shot he will raise it until the barrel is pointed straight up. THAT is the proper way to shoot a 'cap & ball' revolver as it allows the fired cap & pieces to fall out of the action.

• PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I came to the conclusion, from my own experiences with my replicas, the Colt 1860 style revolver with open-top frame was perhaps more popular than the Remington 1858 with top strap, because of the ability to easily chuck the cap debris, and not jam up, as noted by Mike Wiskey, raising the revolver straight up, maybe even with a little shake. There certainly wasn't enough recoil to cause the revolver to tilt way up, though maybe it made grabbing the hammer for recocking a bit easier.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

as others stated, mine did it also, I just raised and shook the pistol to dislodge the fired cap, it soon becomes second nature....

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

Try different sizes of caps, and different brands. You need one that will seat snugly against the nipple.