In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 94

I've got a 1972 Winchester 30-30in good condition that I was wondering if there was a shorter round than the traditional Winchester 30-30 that I could safely fire in that weapon.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

It would help if you explained what your idea is a little more completely.

Best.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

NO!! Don't put any thing in the gun that it was not designed for!!!!

You risk destroying the gun and injuring or killing yourself.

If you need less recoil there are 'reduced recoil' 30-30 rounds available or you can learn to reload.

If you are trying for more capacity then buy an AR.

How much experience do you have with firearms?

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭

WHATEVER the caliber is marked on the barrel, that's the round you use! No there is no substitutes of caliber and "driving to retire" will get you hurt very badly if you don't follow basic firearm rules where you won't be able or alive to retire. imo

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

There are pistol caliber Adapters available. They are shaped like the 30-30 cartridge but take the .32 caliber pistol cartridge. They must be single loaded for each shot. Other than the Adapter / Insert, all of the above info is correct.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

Short cartridges work in longer chambers only if the cartridge is rimmed, essentially straight with little if any taper, and certainly no bottle-neck. The 30-30 cartridge is rimmed, but it is also bottle-necked. If a shorter cartridge was fired, the bullet would exit the case unsupported in a part of the chamber far too wide.

If what you want is a lower power cartridge and less recoil, here are a couple of suggestions:

(1) Lookup a custom ammunition loader or two online and see if they are interested in putting together some low power 30-30 loads for you. It seems this could be easily done using the proper powder, some filler, and pure lead bullets.

(2)Or, you might want to reconsider your choice of calibers. For instance, if you had a .375 magnum rifle, there are not only a wide range of .375 loads on the market, but the gun would also handle .38 Specials which are a shorter case and lower power. Soft .38 Specials fired in a rifle have almost no recoil. If it was me, I'd trade the Winchester model 94 30-30 in on a Marlin model 94 in .375 magnum.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

truthful: I HOPE you meant .357 magnum NOT .375 magnum!!!

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I experimented with a cartridge adaptor using 32 ACP in a 30-30 and soon experienced extraction problems. If one wishes to try lower powered loads, an article in the October 1987 issue of American Rifleman by master gunsmith Roy Dunlap titled SHOOT CHEAP points out an interesting way. He loaded neck-sized 30-30 brass using Hornady .310" 45 gr. round balls with 3-5 gr. of pistol powder, lightly tapping the round ball in with a wood block. Result was a plinking round good for 25-50 yds.

• Options
    driving to retiredriving to retire Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the info!

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

BTW, the round ball handloads I referenced are to be fired single shot only, to avoid pushing the bullets in farther.