In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1903 Springfield directors model

nosemittennosemitten Member Posts: 5

I am trying to find out about a Springfield 1903 DIRECTORS MODEL 30/06 rifle I own. The serial number is 1508375. Can anyone give me any information on the history of this rifle. When I bought this gun here several years ago I was told this was a limited edition special model 1903 Springfield. Gun is in perfect condition and I was told by the dealer here that received the gun for me that it was the best 1903 example he had ever seen.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I think that we are going to need to see photos.

Neal

EDIT: https://thecmp.org/contacts/

Use this link to contact the Civilian Marksman Program. Give them the model & serial number & ask if they have a record on this rifle. If so, they will mail you an official letter for $5, which is great provenance.

• nosemittennosemitten Member Posts: 5

Ok so where do I look for directions on posting photos? Be glad to when I figure out how. Other than the excellent condition the only difference from other 1903's is the stock has a pistol grip (no checkering).

• JohnERebJohnEReb Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

"Director's Model" may refer to the Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship. Simply known as the DCM by collectors (and now called the CMP). I'm pretty weak on 20th century firearms, preferring my guns to use a ramrod. Perhaps doing an internet search of 1903 DCM rifles might get you started.

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭

Your serial number dates to 1937. Prior to the 2nd World War, Springfield had very limited production. Your rifle might have been made as a presentation piece, or a trophy gun for a Camp Perry match winner?

Based on the serial number this gun was produced between July 1 1937 & January 1 1938. Have taken some pictures now need to figure how to upload them to here. JohnEReb I think you are correct about this being a DCM model.

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭

You show a 1903 in a full pistol grip "C" stock.

If it were built that way, 1929-1942, it would be an official 1903A1. But they had a lot of straight stocks to use up and it might be a replacement.

There should be DCM papers somewhere that would show if it were released as a 1903A1.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭

I tend to agree with H-C, i.e. the stock isn't original. A presentation or trophy rifle wouldn't have a stock, with obvious imperfections.

Don't know under what circumstances you bought it under? Or if you payed a premium, because of it being a "limited special edition"? But the golden rule for collectors firearms. Is to buy a firearm, for what it is. Not to buy it because of any questionable story, the dealer who's selling it is trying to foist off on you..

This discussion has been closed.