In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Long Gun regulation tax

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

Sooo... at NYE party the guys (younger gen) were talking about a

1) registration deadline next or face criminal charges for long Arms?

2) an annual tax on all long arms every year forward

anybody have any facts on gun control measures aimed at long arms ?

the figure was a annual tax stamp of 300 per longarm. that would suck

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

The IDEA of a long gun tax has been put out as a way to get around the 2nd Amendment and make it too expensive to own. It is just a theory of what could happen.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

This is the Biden campaign official statement:

From the link:

• Regulate possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act. Currently, the National Firearms Act requires individuals possessing machine-guns, silencers, and short-barreled rifles to undergo a background check and register those weapons with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Due to these requirements, such weapons are rarely used in crimes. As president, Biden will pursue legislation to regulate possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act. 

The tax long arms plan usually stems from the above. There have been suggestions that Biden/Harris plan to apply the $200.00 tax stamp to all existing AR/AK platform weapons, as well as individually to any magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

SCOTUS has, IIRC, punted on the Connecticut, New York, etc. purchase bans and registration mandates. I would be surprised in Roberts would allow a challenge to a national registration regimen reach the court. If he did, I think we would see our newest Associate Justice shine and shame everyone of those existent that supported the destruction of the 2nd Amendment via Heller and McDonals.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭

How can they tax something I don't own?

How do they know what I own?

Why would they think I would tell them what I own (especially if I knew it would cost me to tell them)?

Why would I even ask these questions since I don't own any guns?