In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Federal Monark Ammo

Lobster57 Lobster57 Member Posts: 2

Hello all!

I have some Federal Monark .38 wadcutters that I was thinking of selling. I noticed while checking for prices that someone had 188 rds. For $1000.00 dollars. Is this really a collectors item? I don’t want to gouge prices but don’t want to get taken either. Anyone know what a fair price would be? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭

Monark is old Federal ammo, probably from the 70's? No collectors value, that I'm aware of. $1000 for less than 4 boxes is a joke. Check out the actual selling prices for factory 38 wadcutters on the auction. Not just Federals, all the ammo manufacturers made it/make it? I'll grant you it was much more popular in years past. But it's still available commercially, or was prior to the latest Covid/biden ammo panic.

• Lobster57 Lobster57 Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the reply. I thought it seemed wrong that it would be considered a collectors item. 🙂

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

I might be collectiable to some, just not at 250.00 box. Maybe 25.00 tops.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

There is a list of words used by sellers guaranteed to hit the red light for many buyers.

'Collectible' is one of them.

'Rare' is another.

Both should start the process of asking questions where the answers will substantiate the asking price. No absolute substantiation, no buy, walk away.

Best.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I spent many hours in an ancient gun shop near Framingham, Mass. and one of their favorite cliches was, " Oh, that's very rare." Always good for a laugh. I miss Bay State Arms. It was a really cool shop. I spent many thousands of dollars there.