In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is the Chamber Empty?

I see words in listings that say:

"This is a used GUNSMITH SPECIAL XXXXXX Model XX .380 Auto.

Gun has finish wear and handling marks such as scuffs or scratches. Comes with 1 magazine.

Gun does not cock back".

How do we know there is not a live round in the chamber if it can't cock?

Comments

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Did not say the slide was frozen, said would not cock. It is possible to rack the slide where you can observe the chamber, but the hammer or striker is not being held back in the firing position.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭

DAO (double action only) has a specific meaning: it is a gun designed or altered to function without a "cocked" feature. Every shot requires a pull on the trigger with the hammer in the forward position.

"Gunsmith special" also has a specific meaning. It means that a gun is so badly damaged or mutilated that it should be unsafe & beyond repair. Any other words are superfluous.

Neal

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******

" unsafe & beyond repair"............not nessessarily beyond repair but parts replacement or other repair is required. I have done this to many 'gunsmith specials'.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

"Gun does not cock back". That is a very nebulous statement and could mean many things. The seller is not familiar enough with firearms to give a good description, or is being deliberately evasive.

we can only provide answers with the information given to us. Often an issue is not adequately described or is misinterpreted. Such is the fate of the written word.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2021

That's also my thinking. The term "cock back" is confusing and misleading- perhaps intentionally.

Navc130, in addition to providing solid info, I gave you the like for using the word nebulous!

• windycityparrotwindycityparrot Member Posts: 4

These are all great informational and useful comments - Thank you all!

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭

When buying a gun that there is no hands on inspection, my advise would be, ask the seller as many questions until your are satisfied with all the answers he gives you, if he is reluctant to give answers to your question, figure something isn’t right and move on to other sellers.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭

Windycityparrot asked, "How do we know there is not a live round in the chamber if it can't cock?"

Any reason a rod couldn't carefully be inserted into the barrel to check?

This discussion has been closed.