In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NRA files for bankruptcy

SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

They are trying to move to Texas to get out of the reach of the NY AG.

Comments

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I wonder who will be the new chairmen? The left sure has them on the run for now.

serf

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/nra-files-for-bankruptcy-says-it-will-reincorporate-in-texas.html

The National Rifle Association said Friday that it has filed for bankruptcy in U.S. court as part of a larger restructuring plan aimed at removing its footprint in New York for Texas.

The gun-rights advocacy group said it would restructure as a Texas nonprofit to exit what it said was a “a corrupt political and regulatory environment in New York,” where it is currently registered. serf

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Talk about corrupt? Have you seen the expenses charged to the NRA by its leaders? I became a benefactor member many years ago. Since then they have not gotten a dime except for entry fees in NRA matches.

If they transfer the same swamp dwellers to a new location will it really be different?

Maybe Texas attorney General Paxton will take over after getting stiffed at the supreme court? The lefties are sure to can him on the next election.

serf

• Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Say what you will about the NRA, this is scary. Yes they got too big for their britches and have had some scandals, kind of like politics, BUT when the democrats constantly * about the NRA, that tells you a lot. They are one of the only ones standing between us and the liberal gun grabbers, and they just happen to be the most powerful. They go away it just makes it that much easier to infringe on us.

• US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭

I get confused about this bankruptcy thing.

Does that mean my membership card is priceless . . . or worthless?

(I am speaking about after the filing . . . not now.)

• Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Well its chapter 11 reorg, so not full bankruptcy. Will have to wait and see what they petition the bankruptcy court for and what they will and will not honor as far as current debts/memberships etc. I think they better damn well not screw their members in any way.

Looks like its mainly due to NY suing them, moving to TX would be a positive thing for sure.

edited January 2021

Hell the NRA magazine paper they print on now is so thin and non durable I suspect they will give a virtual mag and raise the subscription rate up to 100 dollars a year after reorganizing and the civil marksmanship program is probably going to be defunded when the Democrats take over too!

serf

The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 40701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:

1. To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
    2. To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
    3. To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.

The law specifically states: In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Lots of info on-line about such.

Relocating from NY to Texas.

• BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Guess Wayne has to get some boots!

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Hate to think how much he/we would pay for them.

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

The post above ^ looks strangely familiar. LOL