In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handgun Purchase (California Compliant)

So I’m sort of new to this. I was wondering if you can purchase a handgun (or any other firearm in that case) on gunbroker that has 15 rounds, which is illegal in California, and leave out the magazine to make it California compliant. In my case, I’m trying to purchase a beretta 92fs but there are very little options if I’m specifically searching for one with a 10 round mag.

thanks for any info

Comments

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

That would be dependent upon the seller, use the ask the seller button and see if they are willing to do so.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2021

Welcome to the forum. Your first step is to check to see if the EXACT handgun you wish to purchase appears on the CA DOJ handgun register. I linked in the Beretta page to speed up your search :

Handguns Certified for Sale | State of California - Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

As you can see (visual aids are helpful), there are several approved variations of what would seem to be the exact same model, but according to the CA DOJ, they aren't the same!

If you find an approved pistol for sale, and if you find a seller who will ship it to CA, simply request that the pistol be shipped with no magazines. Since the seller gets to keep the 15 shot magazines for himself, shipping with no mags shouldn't be a problem. I cannot emphasize enough that the pistol you choose to bid on MUST be one of the exact variations which appear on the DOJ list. A mistake here will mean that your receiving dealer will be unable to transfer the pistol to you. This leads to endless problems...all of which will be yours to solve! Good hunting.

• StrawberrymayoStrawberrymayo Member Posts: 4

So just to be clear, a beretta 92fs listing should be able to fit both a 15 and 10 round magazine correct? It is not manufactured to fit just one OR the other but both?

Thanks

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2021

It can handle either capacity. You should have no problem finding a ten shot mag to fit your pistol. Before escaping to Florida, I was a Class 3 dealer in CA for for over 25 years, so I understand CA state laws reasonably well. I pity your being in CA, so as both a GB administrator, and former CA resident, I feel that it is my duty is to help you. I hope that I've done so.

• StrawberrymayoStrawberrymayo Member Posts: 4

Haha! Okay thank you for the information and the pity. Makes me feel better about being confused about all the restrictions and complications here lol

• dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I would also suggest confirming with your receiving FFL that he is willing and able to transfer that specific handgun to you whether sent by an FFL or an unlicensed individual. Whether right or wrong, some CA FFLs elect to not accept a firearm from an unlicensed individual or if they do, require all sorts of ID and documentation the seller may not prefer to provide.

Also remember that "CA PPT" fee limits do not apply with regard to out of state transfers. CA FFLs charge anywhere from $35.00 to $200.00 for the convenience. I've found (and will continue to find) some great deals on GB. However I buy odd stuff. One ought to measure additional transfer fees when deciding to buy online.

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

One point I'll add to this: when checking with your receiving-FFL, see if he has any use for the 15-round capacity magazines that you may be paying for, but not be getting with your purchase. It is my understanding that FFLs in California can receive magazines that are not legal for ordinary California residents, but they can resell them to be shipped out of the state, or to law enforcement -- or even to movie studios with permits to have them; so you might be able to get something off your transfer fees, if your receiving-FFL was interested in the magazines he could not transfer to you with the pistol.

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

I have done it.

When a buyer bought a gun that was legal where he lives, but the gun had (a) big scary magazine(s) with it, I have happily shipped his gun to his dealer with no magazines. Usually, it's the buyer who makes the request, and he's happy to get the gun with no mags.