In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need info on a ithaca model 38

44mutley44mutley Member Posts: 108 ✭✭

have one of the ithaca pump shotguns that sereal number starts with 38, have read that they are really model 37's but were made only for 6 months in 1975 with a couple of changes and called model 38, my question is, are the barrels marked model 38 or did they just continue using model 37 barrels on them, any help is appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭

Heard of model 87 but not a 38? The 87's are marked as such.

• Options
    bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I did an internet search and found someone selling one of these on another site and the following is what is in the description.

During the early 1970’s the Ithaca Gun Company attempted to redesign the shell stop system of the M37 that had been used since it’s introduction in 1937. The original shell stop required a machining operation and hand fitting. There would be a significant cost savings if the system could be re-designed to eliminate the hand fitting. In 1975 a new design was implemented that eliminated all machining. The company decided that these changes were of such significance that a new serial number sequence was necessary to identify the guns manufactured with the new shell stop system. The new sequence was prefaced with 38. After about six months of production the company decided that the new system was less than satisfactory and they returned to the old design and serial number system prefaced with 37. There are very few serial numbered “38 “ guns in existence with the redesigned shell stop and slide handle.

• Options

yes, i found that info also, what i am trying to find out is were the barrels stamped model 38 or did they just continue to use model 37 barrels on them, am guessing that they just used model 37 barrels but am not positive, have never seen a barrel stamped model 38

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

The Ithaca 37 book by Walter Snyder describes the changes as have been noted above by "bundy". The serial number started with 38 but the model number remained 37. There was no "model 38" as far as the Ithaca company was concerned.

• Options

thanks to all who replied, am glad i finally know for sure