In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FN Browning Hi Power- To Keep or Return ?

RGR1968RGR1968 Member Posts: 10

Hello, all. I recently won an auction for a FN Browning Hi Power D'armes de Guerre. Stampings are original and clear overall good quality on appearances. Included original FN Box and 1963 inspection tag matching the serial number of the pistol. I felt I had really won a gem for $1162. Upon receipt, I field stripped in order to document the stampings....only, to find the pistol is damaged. There is a piece broken out of the recoil spring/guide rod tunnel. I'm disappointed to say the least. The damage is not repairable, and the HP

cannot be fired without danger of catastrophic failure. Would this firearm still be considered 'collectable' and what would its value be?

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Much Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

You asked so; I would absolutely want a refund and I would not want to pay for any shipping. In my opinion the seller should eat that one. Having said that, I have not read the auction so I have no way of knowing the original deal. Good luck.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

There is no way that the seller "missed seeing that." The pistol should never have been sold without disclosing that damage- not defect, but damage. In that condition is a parts gun and not a collectable. Demand a refund, including shipping.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Thanks, Ricci. I really appreciate the quick feedback. Yeah, he's going to refund shipping as well.

Not sure if you can still see it....it was Item #: 888144875 Rare Belgium Fabrique Nationale FN Hi-Power Pistol Original Box Collector.

Just really disappointed since I missed out on two others I could have bid on....would have bid on, had I known about the defect...and now get to screw around with repacking and usps.

Rare Belgium Fabrique Nationale FN Hi-Power Pistol Original Box Collector - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 888144875

• Options

Thanks, Mark. Yeah, I use that term 'defect' sarcastically. I think these guys are just moving guns and not really looking at them....or, 'Just looking' at them and nothing further. Which is fine, if that's the case...but then don't market yourself or your products as some kind of premier product.....excerpt out of their posting: 'If NOTHING but the Best of the Best will do and you want to take your collection to heights that only a handful of collectors will ever achieve, this incredible FNH Hi-Power is for you..'

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

+1

Never seen anything like that before! Almost appears that the Browning had been fired without the recoil spring. Causing the slide to come flying back, with nothing to buffer it. I don't even know if that would be possible though? i would check the barrel real good. If it had been fired without the recoil spring? The slide would have impacted on the barrel. See if the barrel or slide stop, shows damage corresponding to that on the slide.

Snowman, That was exactly what I thought when I saw the damage. It looks as though it was fired minus the recoil spring. Mark C.

• Options

I posted the pics with the gents on the High Power Collectors forum....I got return pics of almost identical damage from another one...a surplus Izzy. I've been told two things...1) although difficult, it could have happened when the guide rod and spring were inserted upside down or more than likely 2) barrel/guide rod 'chatter' caused by worn out springs that failed to hold the parts snugly together. The "V" shaped break in the metal where the metal failed between the barrel area and the recoil spring tunnel and the 'marks' made by the barrel bouncing around.

• Options

Pic from an Israeli Surplus Hi Power....see the marks in the slide from the barrel as well as the break like mine.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Just looking at the pistol's overall condition, I find it hard to believe that it could have been shot so much as to have any parts which ae "worn out". In any case, the auction listing states a three day inspection period. I'd get busy asking for my refund!

• Options

Yep, thanks Mark. Got on it today...seller agreed to refund cost and shipping...waiting on the FFL.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭

You are fortunate that you bought it from a reputable dealer who stands behind what he sells. This case shows how important it is to thoroughly read the seller's return policy (or lack thereof) before you bid.

Many dealers do not disassemble guns before they sell them; it takes too much time. Buyers should use the "magnifier" option here on GB to look at close ups of a gun. That damage to bluing on the left side of the slide was the clue that should have raised a red flag.

Neal

This discussion has been closed.